Question Dusted PC, now it won't boot.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Hello and sorry for my bad English, but I will try my best. Thanks for understanding.

So, yesterday I decided to clean the dust from PC and then when the dust was cleaned I connected my parts back and turned the PC on. And this what happened when I turned my pc on after every 10 seconds it kept restarting. I thought that I forgot to connect the cables perfectly, after checking the cables it was the same. Then I thought maybe my ram is dead. I disconnected my ram stick and I was running with one stick then I tried another stick and then both it was the same. Then I connected another DDR3 rams from other computer and it was the same. Then I tried with other psu, just because I thought my currently psu was dead but after trying with another psu it was the same. At the last I thought maybe my Gpu is dead also, so I tried to connect to the integrated graphics card but it was the same. I dont know what else can I check and what the problem might be... Also I want to mention that when I turn my pc keyboard, mouse, monitor doesnt show up. I will attach the video below so you can check it by yourself.

https://streamable.com/tt6811

My last opinion is that maybe the motherboard is dead? But Im not sure, so maybe you guys can help me and to identify what is the problem that causes the PC to restart after 10 seconds? Thanks a lot and have a good day to everyone!

In the video you can see that I was trying with integrated graphics, but I can tell you that it was the same with normal graphics card.

Last edited:

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Yes, while the computer is unplugged.
Yes I did that and its the same. But I have noticed that when I turn my conputer without any rams its running as long as you want, but still no signal to monitor or keyboard. But when I add rams and start it it turns on and after 10seconds it shutdowns and restarts again to work for 10seconds and its over and over and over again. So I dont know what else can I do... Im out of ideas. I think it might be that motherboard is dead but Im not sure. I found a guy who will give me another the same LGA working motherboard and if my old cpu and rams and other old stuff from old pc will work on that another motherboard then I will know that for now my currently motherboard is dead right?

Yes I did that and its the same. But I have noticed that when I turn my conputer without any rams its running as long as you want, but still no signal to monitor or keyboard. But when I add rams and start it it turns on and after 10seconds it shutdowns and restarts again to work for 10seconds and its over and over and over again. So I dont know what else can I do... Im out of ideas. I think it might be that motherboard is dead but Im not sure. I found a guy who will give me another the same LGA working motherboard and if my old cpu and rams and other old stuff from old pc will work on that another motherboard then I will know that for now my currently motherboard is dead right?
How old is the motherboard?
Is it possible you got dirt in the RAM slots, PCIe slots or power connectors when you cleaned the dust from your computer?

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
How old is the motherboard?
Is it possible you got dirt in the RAM slots, PCIe slots or power connectors when you cleaned the dust from your computer?
Motherboard is on 1155 LGA so its old enough haha, and talking about the dirt hmm its hard to say but I guess no? I was cleaning the dust with microfiber cloth and using a bit of compressed air so there was no chance that dirt or dust or other particules got into those connectors.

Motherboard is on 1155 LGA so its old enough haha, and talking about the dirt hmm its hard to say but I guess no? I was cleaning the dust with microfiber cloth and using a bit of compressed air so there was no chance that dirt or dust or other particules got into those connectors.
An 1155 socket motherboard should still work perfectly well. At this point you may as well remove the motherboard from the case and try booting outside the case.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hello and sorry for my bad English, but I will try my best. Thanks for understanding.

So, yesterday I decided to clean the dust from PC and then when the dust was cleaned I connected my parts back and turned the PC on. And this what happened when I turned my pc on after every 10 seconds it kept restarting. I thought that I forgot to connect the cables perfectly, after checking the cables it was the same. Then I thought maybe my ram is dead. I disconnected my ram stick and I was running with one stick then I tried another stick and then both it was the same. Then I connected another DDR3 rams from other computer and it was the same. Then I tried with other psu, just because I thought my currently psu was dead but after trying with another psu it was the same. At the last I thought maybe my Gpu is dead also, so I tried to connect to the integrated graphics card but it was the same. I dont know what else can I check and what the problem might be... Also I want to mention that when I turn my pc keyboard, mouse, monitor doesnt show up. I will attach the video below so you can check it by yourself.

https://streamable.com/tt6811

My last opinion is that maybe the motherboard is dead? But Im not sure, so maybe you guys can help me and to identify what is the problem that causes the PC to restart after 10 seconds? Thanks a lot and have a good day to everyone!

In the video you can see that I was trying with integrated graphics, but I can tell you that it was the same with normal graphics card.

It sounds to be either a CPU or motherboard issue, but did you take out the cpu from the socket while dusting? Because if you did, you might have bent a pin on the motherboard, rendering it useless. Also, I would make sure that all power connections are tight so that there isn't a power bottleneck.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
It sounds to be either a CPU or motherboard issue, but did you take out the cpu from the socket while dusting? Because if you did, you might have bent a pin on the motherboard, rendering it useless. Also, I would make sure that all power connections are tight so that there isn't a power bottleneck.
Yes I removed the CPU while cleaning the dust, and when I removed the CPU there was some broken pins already and it was running just fine. But when I replaced the CPU, changed the thermopaste on it, connected all the parts back and it wont boot for now. And talking about the power connections seems like there is everything tight connected on my PC.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
This is an old video showing how to boot your motherboard outside of the case but the basics are still the same.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM
I took my computer from the case and did everything like him on the video, but for now when I connected everything back I dont know if my motherboard has on board power switch on and Im struggling to turn it on. Would be nice if you can say something and if you need I can provide my motherboard: Asrock h61m-vs

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Okay, so I decided to connect the power switch cables from PC to motherboard and to try to power it using the regular power button, but the thing is when I press the button PSU makes this sound and nothing happens. So maybe I made a mistake or what? Why does it wont turn on? Below there is a proof what kind of sound PSU makes.

https://streamable.com/kj7abi

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Yes I removed the CPU while cleaning the dust, and when I removed the CPU there was some broken pins already and it was running just fine. But when I replaced the CPU, changed the thermopaste on it, connected all the parts back and it wont boot for now. And talking about the power connections seems like there is everything tight connected on my PC.

Yeah, if there are bent pins on the CPU, that means it no longer works. I'm pretty sure you must have damaged it while pulling it out of the socket somehow, but you have to get it replaced. Sorry that had to happen to you

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
But when I add rams and start it it turns on and after 10seconds it shutdowns and restarts again to work for 10seconds and its over and over and over again.
I know it sounds dumb, but in where I live if there's some problem with the RAM, we often use an eraser and erase the side of the RAM that plug into the RAM slot (I don't know what it's called). Like, you wipe the eraser gently at that side and it usually works like a charm.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Yeah, if there are bent pins on the CPU, that means it no longer works. I'm pretty sure you must have damaged it while pulling it out of the socket somehow, but you have to get it replaced. Sorry that had to happen to you
You meant that somehow I broke my cpu? I mean Motherboard had some bents where you put CPU. But the CPU looks that it has no damages at all. Maybe mistakes were made, I will wait for tomorrow and I will try with another 1155 motherboard. It is what it is... thanks for your time!

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
I know it sounds dumb, but in where I live if there's some problem with the RAM, we often use an eraser and erase the side of the RAM that plug into the RAM slot (I don't know what it's called). Like, you wipe the eraser gently at that side and it usually works like a charm.
Hmm sounds strange just because I have never seen it and never heard about it. So you suggest that my ram slots are currently dead or what? And I dont know what else should I do. But I will try to see more about that thing you said, maybe I will find a solution.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Hmm sounds strange just because I have never seen it and never heard about it. So you suggest that my ram slots are currently dead or what? And I dont know what else should I do. But I will try to see more about that thing you said, maybe I will find a solution.
no no no no no not your RAM Slot. I mean use the eraser and wipe the RAM. Not the RAM slot but the RAM. The RAM's pin if it makes more sense. It's colored yellowish and at the bottom of the RAM.

Something like this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO0mYuhGYls

Reactions: ibtransformer

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

That's just to clean the gold contacts on the RAM, in case there was some dirt or something blocking data transfer

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
You meant that somehow I broke my cpu? I mean Motherboard had some bents where you put CPU. But the CPU looks that it has no damages at all. Maybe mistakes were made, I will wait for tomorrow and I will try with another 1155 motherboard. It is what it is... thanks for your time!

I forgot that intel pins were on the motherboard, that means that your cpu is probably fine, but your motherboard is broken. You can try and fix it, but be careful not to snap the pins off. Just grab some tweezers and straighten the pins.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
I forgot that intel pins were on the motherboard, that means that your cpu is probably fine, but your motherboard is broken. You can try and fix it, but be careful not to snap the pins off. Just grab some tweezers and straighten the pins.
Yeah thats what I meant to say, the pins on the motherboard has some broken pins, and thats why it wont turn on? Or it might be the other problems that causes it not to turn on?