Question Dusted PC, now it won't boot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Hello and sorry for my bad English, but I will try my best. Thanks for understanding.

So, yesterday I decided to clean the dust from PC and then when the dust was cleaned I connected my parts back and turned the PC on. And this what happened when I turned my pc on after every 10 seconds it kept restarting. I thought that I forgot to connect the cables perfectly, after checking the cables it was the same. Then I thought maybe my ram is dead. I disconnected my ram stick and I was running with one stick then I tried another stick and then both it was the same. Then I connected another DDR3 rams from other computer and it was the same. Then I tried with other psu, just because I thought my currently psu was dead but after trying with another psu it was the same. At the last I thought maybe my Gpu is dead also, so I tried to connect to the integrated graphics card but it was the same. I dont know what else can I check and what the problem might be... Also I want to mention that when I turn my pc keyboard, mouse, monitor doesnt show up. I will attach the video below so you can check it by yourself.

https://streamable.com/tt6811

My last opinion is that maybe the motherboard is dead? But Im not sure, so maybe you guys can help me and to identify what is the problem that causes the PC to restart after 10 seconds? Thanks a lot and have a good day to everyone!

In the video you can see that I was trying with integrated graphics, but I can tell you that it was the same with normal graphics card.

Last edited:
I took my computer from the case and did everything like him on the video, but for now when I connected everything back I dont know if my motherboard has on board power switch on and Im struggling to turn it on. Would be nice if you can say something and if you need I can provide my motherboard: Asrock h61m-vs
These are the 2 pins you need to connect with a screwdriver.

main-qimg-245d67deee87481c1fa1773b1fec2a33

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Looks like

Looks like a few bent pins. That can't be good. Maybe try to straighten them with a pair of tweezers?
I could try it, but im not good at it and I dont know how they are supposed to be to get back to the work.. I was watching some videos about it, but still its very hard if i will use too much pressure or something it can get more worse..

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Okay I fixed some cpu socket pons back but not all of them and for now I connected all parts back to case and when I turn the PC only the PSU makes short and small sound and nothing happens. Like yesterday it was turning in and all the fans was spinning but for now it seems that it wont turn on anymore. So I dont know whats going on with this PC.. I thought I better will wait for tomorrow and I should get the other same socket motherboard and I will try to turn on with other motherboard. So as I said before I have no clue whats going on with my PC right now. Maybe its already dead and there is no chance to restore it for a second life.

Okay I fixed some cpu socket pons back but not all of them and for now I connected all parts back to case and when I turn the PC only the PSU makes short and small sound and nothing happens. Like yesterday it was turning in and all the fans was spinning but for now it seems that it wont turn on anymore. So I dont know whats going on with this PC.. I thought I better will wait for tomorrow and I should get the other same socket motherboard and I will try to turn on with other motherboard. So as I said before I have no clue whats going on with my PC right now. Maybe its already dead and there is no chance to restore it for a second life.
Your EVGA 450BT power supply has built in features like Over Voltage Protection, Over Current Protection, Short Circuit Protection. When you try to start up the motherboard and the PSU only make a short clicking noise, that is likely the power supply immediately shutting itself off to prevent damage to the PC parts it is powering. The power supply is doing what it was designed to do.

Last edited:

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
You EVGA 450BT power supply has built in features like Over Voltage Protection, Over Current Protection, Short Circuit Protection. When you try to start up the motherboard and the PSU only make a short clicking noise, that is likely the power supply immediately shutting itself off to prevent damage to the PC parts it is powering. The power supply is doing what it was designed to do.
Might be that you are saying the truth, but how im supposed to check the computer if it is alive if the psu wont allow me to do it?

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
It's dead. Fixing bent pins with tweezers and a magnifying glass is a monumental pain, especially when it's more than just one. Even then it still might not work.
But its possible to fix and to have working motherboard again right? Okay then. I have another question I already have 1 dead 1155 motherboard and this one half dead and what do you guys do with broken PC parts?
Recycle station into the electronics bin, usually.

ibtransformer

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
Okay, thanks for your time guys and a help, we finally came to an agreement that motherboard is dead or half dead. If my PC will not work when I will get another MB I will try to keep you informed, other than that I hope other parts are safe such cpu,rams,gpu,psu. With that being said, Im so happy that you helped me and we reached decision even though it was hard at first.