Question DVD burner not recognized in windows anymore

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I had an older BluRay burner that just wouldn't work anymore. W10 would not recognize it at all. So, I purchased a new burner, but Windows still won't recognize it. What am I doing wrong. Asus DRW-24B1ST. Does anyone have any idea of what to do? I have tried the registry fix, and device manager fix. I'm not sure what is going on.
Thanks.

press win + x, open command prompt with admin rights and copy paste there this:
Code:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
then reboot
if optical drive still missing, check device manager if its detected

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I found out the issue. Since no DVD drive was working, I thought a little harder. I installed an M.2 drive awhile back and wondered if that took up some sata ports. I moved the DVD drive cable to another sata port, and presto. It now works. 2 sata ports taken up by an M.2 drive. Shoot. I guess I better check my motherboards better next time I buy one to make sure that won't happen again.

I found out the issue. Since no DVD drive was working, I thought a little harder. I installed an M.2 drive awhile back and wondered if that took up some sata ports. I moved the DVD drive cable to another sata port, and presto. It now works. 2 sata ports taken up by an M.2 drive. Shoot. I guess I better check my motherboards better next time I buy one to make sure that won't happen again.
ah yes, most mainboards have 4 sata ports wired to chipset and 2 more wired to cpu which gets lost once m2 slot is used
8mPvI8w.png

here that pick one
either x4 nvme or x2 nvme + sata