Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Got a new Sata DVD Burner from Newegg. Once I installed this drive the bios didn't detect it and Windows didn't start sucessfully. I figured it was looking for a IDE drive so I changed the boot order to just boot from Harddrive. This didn't work either, so I installed my DVD Drive on master and booted up the computer, Windows initiliazed, but the sata drive wasn't recognized or would open on its own. So, I removed the Power cord from the DVD Burner and used a different cord, and pushed the cord in sternly. Turned on the computer for the third time and I heard a pop and then the room filled with smoke like I was at a club. I frantically turned off the computer and removed the drive from the tower.

I am sending the drive back to get a replacement, but any idea what could have gone wrong to prevent this from happening again in the future?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
What is your power supply? Remember that your system might function right but adding a new drive might be taking more power than your PSU can handle.

Usually, when it hapened to me, the PC wouldnt boot, however, it never went on fire or anything.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
What brand is it? Also, if you could list a simple list of what components your PC has (that consume power).

My Pentium IV (1.7Ghz, 1.5Gbs RAM, 1 Cd-rom, Radeon 9800PRO, 2 Hard Drives) runs normally with a 350 watts PSU but I once tried to add another hard drive and it wouldnt boot. Obviously, pretty much the PSU cant power all the components.

Also, please check the molex connectors that you used on the dvd drive, make sure they are not burned so you wont use them on other components.

Can it be that the drive was defective?

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
It's : SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

My Computer:
AMD X2 3800+ Windsor
Asus M2N-E
Radeon X1900GT
160GB WD Harddrive
Windows XP SP2
Old HP DVD that came with my other computer

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
It's : SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

My Computer:
AMD X2 3800+ Windsor
Asus M2N-E
Radeon X1900GT
160GB WD Harddrive
Windows XP SP2
Old HP DVD that came with my other computer

I meant the power supply brand :roll:

Also, did you tried disconnecting the HP drive and pluging in thet Samsung?

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Coolmax, and yes I did. I tried first with nothing but the SATA, then the sata and the HP and it booted to windows fine just no power. And the molex connector doesn't show any signs of damage.

mazedws

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
the smoke ,maybe something wrong with your power cord ,is your mainboard all right ? HOHO, conguratulations.

i think the problem is at your bios setup,sata has a very different working principle from ide/atapi,when you choose the compatible mode for sata,you will get the best copatibility.

PS : is your harddrive also sata??

shk

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
then the room filled with smoke like I was at a club.
LMAO.

It sounds like a defective drive unless you have a really lowsy brand power supply. slim142 was correct in asking what brand, as 500w from a random company may not really be 500watts (rated for a different temperature, given the peak value and not the average, etc).

shk

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
It's only 12 volts but unless that guy has personal experience I would not recommend it.

I'm not sure about the amperage; that may hurt more than 12 volts.

Alternative: plug a fan into it.

What brand is it? Also, if you could list a simple list of what components your PC has (that consume power).

My Pentium IV (1.7Ghz, 1.5Gbs RAM, 1 Cd-rom, Radeon 9800PRO, 2 Hard Drives) runs normally with a 350 watts PSU but I once tried to add another hard drive and it wouldnt boot. Obviously, pretty much the PSU cant power all the components.

Also, please check the molex connectors that you used on the dvd drive, make sure they are not burned so you wont use them on other components.

Can it be that the drive was defective?

For future reference: Computers dont use a heck of a lot of watts. 350 is fine for most applications, and in fact, hard drives dont add up to a whole lot. It is likely you were experiencing other issues, such as jumper settings.

Try the PSU calculator on your old rig.

TRENDING THREADS