Question dvd burners

qubusqubus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
Hi
I have successfully used DVD Shrink and Nero 9 Essentials with Windows 7 to make copies of some of my DVDs. However, I have tried these programs on my new machine running Windows 10 and neither will install. Can anyone recommend good software for the correspondong operations with Windows 10. I am now also trying VLC as my mediaplayer. Anyone any comments as to a better one?
Thanks in advance.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you attempted to install them in compatibility mode? Right click the installer exe, select properties and navigate to the "compatibility" tab. Should be an option to "run in compatibility mode for Windows #" in a dropdown.

Select "windows 7" as you know it worked in 7 without issue, apply & save. Then try to run the installer again, with administrator rights (right click the .exe and "run as administrator") .

qubusqubus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
Hi
Thanks for your rapid reply. To be absolutely honest, the two progs (DVD Shink and Nero 9) ran even better in XP. With W7 I occasionally get an error message which, not being an expert, I am unable to decypher. Will the compatibility trick work with XP? Maybe I should think about putting XP on a partition?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi
Thanks for your rapid reply. To be absolutely honest, the two progs (DVD Shink and Nero 9) ran even better in XP. With W7 I occasionally get an error message which, not being an expert, I am unable to decypher. Will the compatibility trick work with XP? Maybe I should think about putting XP on a partition?

There's a compatibility option for XP (following the same steps I posted). Try that first.

No need to partition etc, if the compatibility feature will just 'work'.