DVD-CD combo not reading disk anymore

I have a Lite-on 832S. Had for a few months and it was working fine then
last week I discovered it doesn't work anymore. I've tried everying except
uninstall sp2 which I may do soon. A lot of rumors that sp2 slowly distroys
Lite-on DVD drives. Don't know if this is true or not but I've had this DVD
drive since August and as far as I know it worked fine until now. Anyone
have any ideas. Manufacturer told me to send it back to the retail store.
(lots of help)

Carey thanks for the info. I've tried using multiple disks (blank, movies,
MS CD...), I also updated the firmware, and my DVD software but it still
doesn't read. I haven't tried to clean the DVD player yet and I will try
that this afternoon when I get home. Hopefully that works, but if not I have
already contacted the retailer (Newegg.com) about my problem. If nothing
works then hopefully I can get a replacement.