Status
Not open for further replies.

mhinkle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hello,
I have installed win 7 on my Asus X83VM laptop successfully and everything seems to run except the dvd/cd drive. The disks just spin rapidly (and noisily) but cannot seem to access the data. Is there a driver that needs to be installed for win 7?

Solution
Have you used Windows 7 update driver update option?
Try in: update drive : into the Search bar on the Start Menu.
Chose Update Device Drivers. In the Device Manager screen go to your DVD drive.
Right mouse click on the drive and choose Update Driver Software. Let it automatically search for a new driver.

Have you tested other disks? Have you tried burning anything to an empty disk?
Have you used Windows 7 update driver update option?
Try in: update drive : into the Search bar on the Start Menu.
Chose Update Device Drivers. In the Device Manager screen go to your DVD drive.
Right mouse click on the drive and choose Update Driver Software. Let it automatically search for a new driver.

Have you tested other disks? Have you tried burning anything to an empty disk?

Solution

mhinkle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
thanks for the great reply WR2. I will try that option for win 7 update. I have tried accessing several disks to install software but have not tried burning to an empty yet.

mhinkle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Thanks again WR2. I did use the update driver option for win 7 and it decided that I have the most up-to-date driver available for my drive. However since this posting the pc crashed again so I had to re-install windows 7 and still get the same basic results. The update utility says the driver is up-to-date and now it works part time. One time I can insert a disk and it just spins and then disappears from the device directory completely while still spinning to beat the band. The next disc may work. The disc that doesn't seem to work any time works in other pcs so its not likely the disc. This is very frustrating to have a DVD drive that doesn't work. However I have a workaround; I just copy any disc to a portable HD and get it from there for this pc--thank God the USB drives all work :)
I guess at some point I'll take this new pc in and have the DVD drive replaced. I wish I had found this out before the warranty ran out!

Status
Not open for further replies.