DVD decoder?

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I'm wanting to get a DVD-ROM but I have no idea which one to get. Plus, what exactly is a dvd decoder? Just curious. Thanks!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Take a look at the Toshibas and Pioneers. They're both quite good performers.

A DVD decoder essentially takes some stress off of your video card. It will hardware decode DVDs, allowing for smoother playback, especially if you've got a slower computer. Most newer computers won't need a DVD decoder to play the DVDs though.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I got a 16x Pioneer 116 (tray load). Works great.
only gripe-can get a little loud, but not too loud that it bothers when watching a movie.

a dvd (hardware) decoder is just like the other stated.
a dvd (software) decoder does the same thing except it used your cpu alot, but its also much cheaper than a hardware decoder. i have a fast processor (and if you have one too) go ahead and save some money and get a software decoder. It should work just as good the hardware if you got enough cpu power.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Also, some newer video cards have decoding built in. I have a 12x DVD (Afreey), a P3 866 and a GeForce 2 MX 64 meg, and I have no problem whatsoever.
Minimum requirements for trouble-free viewing are probably a 8x DVD, and then either a 600+ processor (for software decoding), or a decoder card or good video card that supports it.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
A DVD decoder card (Hardware) will normaly have outputs for plugging you PC into a VCR/Dolby Amp.
E.G. Realmagic Hollywood+ has Comp Video, S Video, Stereo, and S/PDIF output. but if you don't want to plug you PC into a TV/VCR the go with the software.

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

G

You don't really need a decoder card. Get a good ViVo Vga card and you can have Tv out and Video in...
stark

Blue Skies Bring Tears