DVD decoding

I know that all ATI cards have such functions like:
MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT
and color space conversion.

Are there any differences between these cards
(9000,9200, 9600,9700,9800) as far as decoding
DVD is concerned. I had my own Radeon 8500 card and
I was very happy with it untill it broke down
I will have to buy the new one now.

I don't play games so 3D performance is not what
interests me. I only want to watch DVD's and other movies
(using different codecs) on my LCD monitor.

If all theses cards have the same DVD features
should I buy the cheapest one?
Or should I choose something else (Matrox etc.)?

Greg

IMO, they're all equal as far as DVD Decoding is concerned - although it'd
be better to get something like a 9500 Pro - they're fast, they support DIVX
decoding in hardware unlike the 9000 or 9200, and they're cheap. You can
pick one up on ebay, or in clearance - for about £65

ATI Cards are generally regarded as better quality picture output than
nvidias, and while the gap is closing, ATI still retain their crown for
quality.

HTH

"GregL" <lojekg@zetokatowice.pl> wrote in message
> I know that all ATI cards have such functions like:
> MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT
> and color space conversion.
>
> Are there any differences between these cards
> (9000,9200, 9600,9700,9800) as far as decoding
> DVD is concerned. I had my own Radeon 8500 card and
> I was very happy with it untill it broke down
> I will have to buy the new one now.
>
> I don't play games so 3D performance is not what
> interests me. I only want to watch DVD's and other movies
> (using different codecs) on my LCD monitor.
>
> If all theses cards have the same DVD features
> should I buy the cheapest one?
> Or should I choose something else (Matrox etc.)?
>
> Greg

> IMO, they're all equal as far as DVD Decoding is concerned - although it'd
> be better to get something like a 9500 Pro - they're fast, they support
DIVX
> decoding in hardware unlike the 9000 or 9200, and they're cheap. You can
> pick one up on ebay, or in clearance - for about £65

Since I couldn't find R9500 I decided to look at R9600.
I think I will buy R9600 (not Pro or XT) because there also
seems to be FULLSTREAM Real DivX implemented.

Actually there are many manufacturers such as:
HIS, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Hercules etc.
Can you tell me which one makes the best
clones because I don't think I can afford to
buy an original ATI card?

Greg

Vellu

Be sure to stay away from 9600SE cards, they're extremely slow in comparison
with other 9600-series cards.

> Since I couldn't find R9500 I decided to look at R9600.
> I think I will buy R9600 (not Pro or XT) because there also
> seems to be FULLSTREAM Real DivX implemented.
>
> Actually there are many manufacturers such as:
> HIS, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Hercules etc.
> Can you tell me which one makes the best
> clones because I don't think I can afford to
> buy an original ATI card?
>
> Greg

IMO They're all as good as each other - although Sapphire are generally
regarded as the best.

As Yello said, DONT get the 9600SE - it has a crippled 64-bit memory path,
rather than the 128-bit one of the regular one.

The 9600 should serve you fine. However, i also find it a little bit amusing
that the 9500 and 9500 Pro are faster than the 9600 in a lot of things :p

128 or 256mb shouldnt matter at all - although always try and get the best
card you can afford :)

Kai

> > IMO, they're all equal as far as DVD Decoding is concerned - although
it'd
> > be better to get something like a 9500 Pro - they're fast, they support
> DIVX
> > decoding in hardware unlike the 9000 or 9200, and they're cheap. You can
> > pick one up on ebay, or in clearance - for about £65
> >

> Since I couldn't find R9500 I decided to look at R9600.
> I think I will buy R9600 (not Pro or XT) because there also
> seems to be FULLSTREAM Real DivX implemented.
>
> Actually there are many manufacturers such as:
> HIS, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Hercules etc.
> Can you tell me which one makes the best
> clones because I don't think I can afford to
> buy an original ATI card?
>
> Greg

I got 2 9600 pros here.

Very satisfied with them...