Question DVD disc stroage questions

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hello

I still have a number of blank DVD discs put away. I'd like to burn some data into them. However, I have some questions.

1. If a DVD disc is not scratched and kept in CD bag in good condition, can it last for decades?

2. If I want to destroy a DVD completely so that it's not possible to recover the data inside even for any data recovery service, before throwing it into the rubbish bin, what is the best way to do so? Is scratching the reading surface with cutter good enough? Do I need to break the disc into half?

1. Unknown, depends on disk quality, I have some burned years ago and still work but some died after few months. For best results burn at slowest speeds.
  2. Scratching disk is not enough for (semi)professional forensics, braking in two neither, I managed to get some data even from badly scratched disks.. Melting or making confetti out of it is most secure.

Reactions: brannsiu

USAFRet

Titan
Hello

I still have a number of blank DVD discs put away. I'd like to burn some data into them. However, I have some questions.

1. If a DVD disc is not scratched and kept in CD bag in good condition, can it last for decades?

2. If I want to destroy a DVD completely so that it's not possible to recover the data inside even for any data recovery service, before throwing it into the rubbish bin, what is the best way to do so? Is scratching the reading surface with cutter good enough? Do I need to break the disc into half?
1. Probably not. I have a stack of burned DVD's, from 5-10 years ago. I'm getting about 50% success in reading them.
The dye layer breaks down after a while.

2. Deep scratches, break it in half. Or, a good shredder will absolutely do it. I have one.

Reactions: brannsiu