DVD Drive disappearing from Windows Explorer (Windows 7)

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hi All,

I'm facing a weird issue with my DVD writer.

If there is no CD/ DVD in the drive, then it is recognised by the Windows and the icon for the Drive is visible in the My Computer section. It acts normally, i.e, the power light is working fine, I am able to eject it through windows itself, rather than the physical button, etc.

However, whenever I insert a disc, it suddenly disappears from the explorer. And then nothing, it's just Gone!! It does not get recognised in the Boot menu as well. However, the power is still there because the LED is working and I'm able to eject it using the physical button on the Drive.

Things I've tried:

1). Using the device manager to scan for hardware changes to identify the drive.

2). Disconnected the wires and connect them again. Even replaced the SATA wire.

3). Tried two different CDs

4). Uninstalled the driver in the explorer and installed it again.

5). Some sort of registry changes which I found online, something related to Upper limit and Lower limit.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

I don't know what else to do. Could you please help.

Thank you.

My Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2
PSU: Corsair VS 450
DVD Drive: LG M-Disc

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
And to add on to this, the DVD drive appeared again after I logged in when my system locked itself for being idle . But I know for sure that once I insert a disc, it will disappear again.

It has become like a teenager - always disappearing when it's time to read and write.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hi All,

I'm facing a weird issue with my DVD writer.

If there is no CD/ DVD in the drive, then it is recognised by the Windows and the icon for the Drive is visible in the My Computer section. It acts normally, i.e, the power light is working fine, I am able to eject it through windows itself, rather than the physical button, etc.

However, whenever I insert a disc, it suddenly disappears from the explorer. And then nothing, it's just Gone!! It does not get recognised in the Boot menu as well. However, the power is still there because the LED is working and I'm able to eject it using the physical button on the Drive.

Things I've tried:

1). Using the device manager to scan for hardware changes to identify the drive.

2). Disconnected the wires and connect them again. Even replaced the SATA wire.

3). Tried two different CDs

4). Uninstalled the driver in the explorer and installed it again.

5). Some sort of registry changes which I found online, something related to Upper limit and Lower limit.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

I don't know what else to do. Could you please help.

Thank you.

My Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2
PSU: Corsair VS 450
DVD Drive: LG M-Disc

I was able to solve this with a clean windows installation. I was having other issues with my Windows and so I had to install it again. The DVD issue was fixed.

This is an old thread but still, for someone who may be stuck like I was, this might help.