[SOLVED] DVD drive missing from BIOS boot sequence after Linux install

Jan 27, 2019
I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on an Asus X55A laptop over my friend's requestion to do so. However, he rolled back on his decision to use Ubuntu because he needed mathematical applications that work on windows. Myself not being that savvy about linux, I threw in my Windows DVD and on my disbelief, the bios did not launch into it.

The weird thing is that I cannot see my dvd drive into my boot sequence in the BIOS.
Two boot device are recognized on the BIOS. Both are the Hard Drive and have the same description. The weirdest thing is that when I launch into Ubuntu, I can see the DVD Drive and its content and I can browse it.

My guess is that Linux somehow changed the way my DVD drive is recognized in my BIOS. In the same way that a NTFS hard drive doesn't work the same as a FAT32 drive. However, I do not know under what circumstances ubuntu would have needed to do that since I have already installed plenty of Oses and have encountered many problems on the Hard Drive side, but never was it the DVD Drive problem's. Neither have I ever heard of a DVD drive behaving in the same way as a hard drive. However it is certainly linked to the installation of ubuntu.

I think that I could install windows 10 from a USB stick. However, I would like to know how to deal with this kind of problem in the future if it ever happens to me again. Thank you very much if any of you respond !