DVD drive missing in Vista

JonBoy55

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I have a HP G6092EA laptop, it is fitted with a slim CD/DVD Rom drive which was working fine, it is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA T20L (Written on drive)
I installed recent win updates (Vista) and it vanished, could not roll back so as backed up data I did a fresh install (which took from Recovery partition as I could not use the drive.

The drive lights up and spins / indexes but is not showing in system devices and will not run disc (any type - tried several)

The Drive is showing in the BIOS as ATAPI CD/DVD ROM DRIVE but is not showing in Device Mgr, located registry entry and tried to delete lower and upper filters but they are not present although the drive is shown there.

Any help would be appreciated

i have this desktop that did thatsame thing lights were on but nothing home. dont know what resolved the issue but it been working fine now for quite some time . i thought the drive went bad but then it worked then it was gone i figured it was a controaler issue on the board [??] but then one day it just started to work full time with no more issues.

i went back and looked in the history to see what i did around this issue went away for me and found nothing ... no windows updates outher then ie9 an a few mse updates i did not install/uninstall any thing on that date outside of microsoft. just dont know it was there some then one day it was gone and now works fine. heres what my event viewer thing was when it was in error

og Name: System
Source: cdrom
Date: 5/23/2013 9:39:53 PM
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="cdrom" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-24T02:39:53.388Z" />
<EventRecordID>243562</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>