DVD drive not available for RW

Since some time, my external DVD burner (NEC1100 on firewire) isn't able to
work as a RW device. That is, the DVD disc is formatted by the system (WinXP
Pro) correctly, but when I view the properties, I find that there is no
available space (all the space seems already allocated) and indeed if I try
to write, a window informs that it isn't possible to do it. My feeling is
that this is not a problem related to the DVD hardware, but it is due to
some process interfering with the system. Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Giovanni

XP does not natively handle DVD media.

What DVD software are you using?

GRL wrote:
> Since some time, my external DVD burner (NEC1100 on firewire) isn't
> able to work as a RW device. That is, the DVD disc is formatted by
> the system (WinXP Pro) correctly, but when I view the properties, I
> find that there is no available space (all the space seems already
> allocated) and indeed if I try to write, a window informs that it
> isn't possible to do it. My feeling is that this is not a problem
> related to the DVD hardware, but it is due to some process
> interfering with the system. Can someone help me?

What application are you using to format the DVD media?
(Windows XP does not support DVD burning/formatting, although it may act
like it you are actually formatting them as CDs and more than likely ruining
the media.)

--
<- Shenan ->

Thank you for your support.
Really, I was wrong in my post, because I've always used the format program
from IOMEGA Hotburn. It ran without any problem until some time ago, but
now, even if the format finishes correctly, the DVD is unwritable.
But today I installed "CDBurner Pro" ( a freeware program to burn devices)
and using its format utility, now I'm able to write the DVD, even if
Explorer says that the file system of the DVD is of type "RAW" and Explorer
is unable to report any data of the DVD (it says that capacity of the DVD is
0 and there are 0 bytes available).
Regards.
Giovanni