[SOLVED] DVD Drive Not Detected

bross83

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
So I'm running Windows 10 Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362, and my MSI laptop won't detect the DVD drive anymore. It's been like that so long that I don't remember what had changed. I don't think it's a hardware issue because I can hear it whirring when I put a DVD in there, and it's detected in the BIOS (though not in device manager anymore, where it was hidden until I tried uninstalling it).

After I opened a ticket with MSI, they suggested a system restore, but I doubt I have a restore point from before this problem. Also, there was a thread at https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-dvd-cd-drive-not-working-missing-windows-10/ that suggested altering the UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in the registry, but neither of those exist on my machine.

Solution
if you don't have a restore point then it would be best to backup any inportant data and do a clean install of windows 10. if you upgraded from an older version of windows or if it is a modern laptop you won't have to worry about looking for a windows activation key
if you don't have a restore point then it would be best to backup any inportant data and do a clean install of windows 10. if you upgraded from an older version of windows or if it is a modern laptop you won't have to worry about looking for a windows activation key

Solution