Question DVD Drive not reading disk

Feb 17, 2021
New Acer Windows 10 Desktop. After inserting a CD in the drive, I can hear it spinning. When the spinning stops, the drive is not visible in the File Explorer. I have to open the Cyberlink PowerDVD application. The disk spins again and is then visible in the Explorer.
Question: Why do I have to run the app to see the drive?

RealBeast

Titan
If you simply want to see the drive, click on This PC in the left side of the file explorer and look at Devices and Drives.

For content it depends what is on the disk and what programs you have installed that will run it.
If it is blank and you want to put data on it, ImgBurn works well and is free and gives you a lot of control.

Feb 17, 2021
Nope did not work. I inserted a disk with Explorer open. Drive does not show anywhere. With Explorer still open, opened Cyberlink PowerDVD. The DVD drive instantly showed under This PC, but nowhere else.
Update: The disk was an HP Printer Install disk

MJS WARLORD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
What type of disc are you trying to read.....

Anyway , i had your problem some years ago and this is what i did..... DISCLAIMER i have posted it for you to read ,,, it is your choice as to weather or not you try it.

HOW TO RESTORE A MISSING DRIVE
The following solution to your problem involves editing the registry so if you are not confident enough to do this, get somebody to do it for you.
Sometimes when you uninstall Norton antivirus software or some other programs weird things happen such as the dvd/cd drive in "my computer" is no longer visible so you will be unable to install anymore software. This is how to solve the problem.
Note each line means you are opening another folder.
Type regedit into the search box at the bottom left of your desktop.
Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
CurrentControlSet
Set
Control
Class
You will now see a massive list of folders, you need to find the following one.
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
Click on it to open it and another panel will appear on the right side of the screen.
You should see upper filters, lower filters or both in a list.
Right click on them to delete them, close the whole page and do a restart. After doing a restart click on "my computer" and your dvd/cd drive should be listed.
Turn up the sound and see if you can hear a bass note type sound. If you can, click on control panel and open device manager. You will see some yellow triangles at the side of some items, right click on them and click uninstall. When you do a restart they will reload themselves and work properly.

Feb 17, 2021
Multiple disks - HP install Disk, Avery Pro Disk, MS Office Disk, and several others. Also, Autoplay does not work either.
I did uninstall Norton Bloatware the first day I turned the computer on.

I will report back if this cures the issue. If so, Norton should be banished from ever selling software anywhere!!!

Feb 17, 2021
Had a little trouble locating the registry entry. On the Acer, it is located here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control - Class

Don't see anything like "filters". I tried to attach a JPG image but can't find a way to do that (insert image wants some kind of web URL). The information can not be copied, so I can't do that either.

Running out of patience. Clarification - Not with anyone here. Annoyed that a 10 minute printer install has consumed nearly half a day because of computer mfgs.'s stinking bloatware.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021
Update:

After an hour of searching and unsuccessfully trying 4 or 5 fixes, I ran the following in a command window as administrator:

reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

After a CD spun in the drive for 30 seconds of so, it appeared in the Explorer. It still worked after a restart. I will see if it remains fixed after several restarts.

Feb 17, 2021
After booting up this morning, the above fix no longer works.

GIVING UP - I will just open PowerDVD first when I need to read a CD/DVD.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS