DVD Drive not reading DVDs but reading CDs only!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eclipse95

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hi guys, I have this problem since a week already. My DVD drive has not read any DVDs anymore except CDs.
I tried the ''Deleting Upper Filter and Lower Filter in regedit'' method to solve it but I couldn't find any stuff is named Upper Filter or Lower Filter.
Hope you guys able to help me to solve the problem, THX

orgwood

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
http://www.koyotesoft.com/
I went through all this with my XP PRO installation and finally just moved on to Free Easy CD DVD Burner and it solved all my problems with reading and writing to any CD DVD. I have no connection to koyotesoft so I'm unbiased. Maybe Windows just can't be fixed. I tried all their wizards, etc...nothing but changing to another program was permanent and hassle free. Give it a try, please! Dave

seta

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
well well well. thanks orgwood. I did not download koyotesoft but went with vlc media player instead and it kind of fixed my problem. a couple of dvds actually played and i was also starting to have cd-rw disc problems, but that worked to and I was able to burn a cd. thank you. perhaps i will try koyotesoft after all since it may help to read all my dvds (although I think part of that problem was the age/condition of the dvds).
thank you thank you

orgwood

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

You're welcome...I use VLC also but mainly as a media player, not a burner. For that I do use Free Easy CD DVD Burner.

Good luck, Dave

jellyhead

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
It seems that there is some confusion in this entire topic. A DVD Video disc IS a data disc and there will be 2 folders visible when the disc is viewed in explorer. You don't need codecs or a media player to view these folders or even a burning program. If you click on the drive in explorer and you get the message that there is no disc in the drive, then it isn't reading it

charlie2000

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
After hours of searching I finally found a fix for my DVD problem on my Windows 7 system. The symptoms were that although my DVD drive could read CDs and data DVD-R disks it could not read data DVD+R disks or DVD movies. After trying several of the solutions posted around the net here is the one that worked for me:

1) Right click on "Computer" in the Start Menu (or the on Desktop if you see it there)
2) Click "Properties"
3) Click "Device Manager"
4) Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
5) Right-click the indented DVD drive that appears and click "Uninstall"
6) Click "Action" in the main menu near the top of the window and select "Scan for hardware changes"

Manickavasakan

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I realize that this is a old question. Interestingly I had the same problem in my laptop which I purchased recently in KL. I tried to play a DVD disc that was burnt in India. Fortunately the solution was simple in my case. Malaysia where I purchased the laptop comes under Group 3 country for DVDs. So the DVD drive was configured during manufacture to read the DVD made in the same region 3. The Laptop allows to change the region a limited number of times only. So in my case I changed from region 3 to region 5. I had to close the player and re-open it. Bingo! The windows media player is playing the DVD now!

I have reproduced the region details of the DVDs below:

Standard DVDs

Region 1: U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, including Egypt
Region 3: Southeast Asia, East Asia, including Hong Kong
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5: Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Russia, Central and South Asia, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6: China

Sincere regards
Manickam