Question DVD drive problem open tray

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I have a sata dvd drive recorder and I connect it to the PC using this adapter in the photo, its tray would not open I changed the rubber strap now it opens and closes but it opens and immediately closes this is one of the problems, the other problem I I put the disk open the file folders the folder closes automatically after a few seconds the folder reappears and this is constantly it's like disconnecting and connecting but before it worked normal

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSchecN9qosxJvQGAwZY-GWMlKVzyW8yYT0jQ&usqp=CAU

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
i bought an asus sata dvd drive with mdisc support but it failed to fully lock the drawer i called the warranty and they said the product can be repaired by them or exchanged for a new one, the doubt: if they repair it, there is a risk of replace any parts that make the drive lose support for M-Disc?

USAFRet

Titan
i bought an asus sata dvd drive with mdisc support but it failed to fully lock the drawer i called the warranty and they said the product can be repaired by them or exchanged for a new one, the doubt: if they repair it, there is a risk of replace any parts that make the drive lose support for M-Disc?
They will fix or replace so that it works as advertised.
If that includes m-disc support, then thats what you get.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not buy a belt. You have little or no control over that belt really fitting, working, and lasting.

Plus you may do more damage to the drive trying to replace the belt.

If you attempt any repairs on your own then support will certainly be lost.

You could have ASUS do the work and if the repairs fail then they are responsible. That could take lots of time for shipping back and forth. plus repairs themselves.

Lots of time.....

As I understand your posts, ASUS has offered a new replacement DVD. If so, then simply exchange for a new DVD drive.

Perhaps the new drive and its' component parts will last longer.

Keep all documentation - just in case.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Do not buy a belt. You have little or no control over that belt really fitting, working, and lasting.

Plus you may do more damage to the drive trying to replace the belt.

If you attempt any repairs on your own then support will certainly be lost.

You could have ASUS do the work and if the repairs fail then they are responsible. That could take lots of time for shipping back and forth. plus repairs themselves.

Lots of time.....

As I understand your posts, ASUS has offered a new replacement DVD. If so, then simply exchange for a new DVD drive.

Perhaps the new drive and its' component parts will last longer.

Keep all documentation - just in case.
the problem of the dvd drive tray not opening 100% but opening 80% is a serious problem that I cannot solve personally and I have to go through all the bureaucracy to trigger the warranty and send the drive?

do you have any asus sata dvd drive belt with more resistant material that i can store to change in the future?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

And again, I do not recommend trying a DIY repair.

Self-repair is likely going to end up badly - one way or another.

I do not know about how much bureaucracy is involved. However, I do know that if you break or damage the drive all future efforts will be for nought.

= = = =

Reading back - something occurred to me.

I pushed the button to open my DVD drive - the tray pops right out but only opens to about 20%.

Then I gently pull the tray out the remaining distance. (Rarely use DVD's any more....)

Is there some reason you cannot do the same - just carefully pull your tray out the rest of the remaining distance?

Simple, straightforward. No repairs, no bureaucracy, etc..

Just a thought. :)

USAFRet

Titan
the problem of the dvd drive tray not opening 100% but opening 80% is a serious problem that I cannot solve personally and I have to go through all the bureaucracy to trigger the warranty and send the drive?

do you have any asus sata dvd drive belt with more resistant material that i can store to change in the future?
Unless you have a UV and oxygen free, temperature controlled environment...you cannot store a rubber belt for "the future".

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Unless you have a UV and oxygen free, temperature controlled environment...you cannot store a rubber belt for "the future".
for the UV belts I protect by keeping them inside closed boxes but humidity I don't have an airtight environment, I thought about buying some belts to store and repair in the future because in the future I don't know if they will be for sale

to replace the belt I open the drive carefully but I asked if I store the drive that opens 80% of the tray in the future the reader and the mechanics and electronics stop working because of this problem

DSzymborski

Titan
I don't understand any of this. The plan is to stockpile future parts for a problem that you don't know how to fix or if that part directly resolves the problem and is not remotely guaranteed to be a problem with future drives? How does this make any logical sense?

As I see it, you have two practical options:

1. RMA the drive if they let you
  2. Replace the drive if they don't

USAFRet

Titan
If you lived local, or within reasonable shipping distance, I'd give you 3 or 4 working DVD drives, for free.

Or, you could do as has been suggested in your other dozen similar threads....abandon the long term DVD disc and drive storage thing, and move into this century.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are going to have to experiment and test yourself if you want to learn to repair optical drives. They have been such a disposable device for the last 15 years ago I doubt anyone out there actually bothers. If it takes more than 15 minutes it is generally pricing itself out of typical labor costs.

Sometimes, there's a tiny strip of rubber or padding on the inside of the drive tray front plate. The very front part of the tray (they usually just snap on and off).
It's used for sound dampening and dust control when the drive is in operation. Sometimes, this strip starts to breakdown and stick to the actual plastic front of the drive when closed. If the drive tray plate is removable you could try popping that off. It's not recommended to run that way since the inside of your drive will start to collect dust but it's worth a shot for testing.

I agree with the others regarding repair. Back in the day I could go to my local hardware store where they had shelves and shelves of rubber gaskets and I could actually get something that would work. This is NOT the case these days. You'll more than likely get something that won't work or will break the drive further. I guess if this is just a side project, for fun, you could give it a go. Otherwise, RMA it for a new drive.