DVD drive recognized, but won't read discs

Matthew81

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I've got an older, but still-humming Dell L702X. Recently, the DVD drive stopped working.

It's still recognized in the BIOS, in the Device Manager, Disk Management, and even in Explorer. However, if I insert a disc and try to browse it in Explorer, it ejects the drive. I can't get any media player to play a movie, or even music from a CD. Basically the computer knows the drive is there, and says it's working fine, but absolutely will not read anything from it.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the device several times, with restarts between each step. I have searched for but can't find a more recent driver. I even tried to download the old driver from Dell, but they don't seem to have it available anymore.

It did work for quite a while on Windows 10. Looking at the Events for the device, I see that on 6/15/2017 it was "Migrated," "Configured," and then "Started." That was the date I installed the Windows Feature Update (version 1703). That's also approximately when I noticed the drive wasn't working any more, although I don't use it real regularly so it could have been before or after that date.

The drive is listed in Device Manager as "HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GT50N". I'm running a fully-patched (and legal) copy of Windows 10.

Just to be clear, the drive did continue working for quite some time after the initial Windows 10 upgrade, and I can't be 100% sure if the Feature Update was the culprit.

Any ideas on what I can do from here?

Matthew81

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Rats, I hadn't even thought about that. Unfortunately I don't have anything to swap it with. Is there any other way to test it?