DVD drive show as CD when DVD inserted

Hi,

All has been well, for months, then all of a sudden my Matsushita DVD-RAM
writer and my Pioneer DVD player will not play or record DVD's.

If I insert a playable DVD that was working, both their Icons change under
Windows Explorer from DVD to CD and the DVD will not play.

If I try and burn a DVD, using Nero it goes off and started to set up what
appears to be a multiple session over many what appears toe be CD's?

Any suggestions please.

I'm runnung Windows XP Pro sp2 and have had no problems, the only thing I've
installed was a shareware midi software package. Maybe I shouldn't have :)

Regards
Col

Have you tried a System Restore to a point before you installed the shareware
package?