Dvd drive slow read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hishuro

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
So I have a new mobo. P8P67 Deluxe and and had to run out and get a new dvd/cd because my left over 1's were not sata. Anyways a couple of problems... 1. Drive reads VERY slow. GF wanted Sims 3 reinstalled and it took almost 20 mins to install... she has all the expansions so do not want to sit through all of that if it is going to take half a day to install. 2nd is when cheking the device manager IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers it lists 13!! ata channels. Is that normal? Checking to make sure the DMA was set.. well out of the 13 controllers 4 have dma in mode 6,5, and 4. Can't be right for just 1 dvd/cd drive. Any help would be great. Oh yeah the drive is a HP dvd1260i is what the box says comp says 1260t if that matters.

Solution
Some drives are faster then others as well.

For instance my LG bluray drive reads cd-audio/dvd-video slower to be more quiet. Games are ok.

Also many drives will adjust speed if the disc is hard to read(very common for Lite-ON based drives), so maybe the Sims 3 is harder to read forcing the drive to run slower.
Seeing lots of ATA controllers happens with SATA systems since each port is its own controller(not shared with the master/slave thing).

Well that game while not huge is still rather big. It may well just be a limit to reading a DVD to begin with. A DVD reads very slow on the inner tracks(Even slower for poor laptop/slim ssf users).

Have you tried to use a CD/DVD benchmark to see how fast the drive is to begin with?

See what this says. also try a single layer dvd if you have one(some movies)
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html

EA is not known for optimizing the install process(My GF got sims 3 on steam so cant test the dvd for you here.).

If your drive is very slow, make sure your chipset drivers are up to date.

Hishuro

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
well hmmmm.... just really don't remember it going that slow on my last build. Regular dvd is getting up to 12x+. Guess I have more dual layered dvd's for games then I thought

You do not have any software installed to make it quiet right? Nero drive speed for instance.

Those speeds are much more in line with a laptop drive or a quiet desktop drive(Your drive is rated upto 16x).

How do other data discs or games fair?

How big is the Sims3 DVD and is it single layer?

Metro 2033 on a slot load dvd drive. Every dvd can be a bit different, i have seen drives read some slow and others fine. so see what other discs do.
slotloaddvd.png

Hishuro

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Yeah guess everything is running fine. CD's are hitting 48x and dvd's 12x+. Been some time since I installed all the games for her and most of these so far are dual layered, so guess I just really don't remember it being that slow before. Thank you very much for the help

Some drives are faster then others as well.

For instance my LG bluray drive reads cd-audio/dvd-video slower to be more quiet. Games are ok.

Also many drives will adjust speed if the disc is hard to read(very common for Lite-ON based drives), so maybe the Sims 3 is harder to read forcing the drive to run slower.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.