DVD Drive Sometimes Reaches Device Buffer of 100%

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello,

Lately, my DVD drive has been acting strange. When burning a file in IMGBurn, it will sometimes get to 100% Device Buffer, and it is stuck there. Is there a software that I can download to test the condition of my DVD drive? I don't want to buy a new one unless I have to.

Thanks!

100% device buffer is good. It means the drive is getting data from your HDD quickly enough that it can keep its memory buffer full. If the HDD has trouble reading a file, the DVD drive continues burning data stored in its buffer (dropping it below 100%) while the HDD tries to re-read the file. If the data in the device buffer reaches 0% and the HDD still hasn't delivered the next data to be burned, then the DVD drive doesn't know what to write next. Because DVDs are not a random-write media, there is no way to "pick up" where the burning stopped. The burn fails and you have a coaster.

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Ah, so this is not my issue. I guess it is just a coincidence. Well the issue I am having is that the burn will get to 60 or 70% and then freeze. IMGBurn is unable to cancel the burn.

I thought 100% buffer was the issue, as my burn speeds hadn't been that good until now (Guess its the SSD I just bought), but I guess not.