DVD for Grandmother's funeral won't play....

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
I made a video on movie maker as well. It's for my grandmother's funeral so naturally it has music as well. I went to test the DVD on my TV's DVD player and it came up saying 'Playback is not available on this disk.'

I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong disk, or maybe I just didn't burn it right. I'm using Maxell DVD+R...I don't know if that makes a difference. I need to have this done soon because her service is tomorrow and I'm running out of time.

Solution
maybe try this program it's free. and yeah weird doesnt seem like windows moive maker can make a proper dvd with titles and menus and such...odd....

http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
my computer is running on windows 8 so its pretty new, not even a year old, my dvd player is a couple years old though

so would I see if I could get it to run on my laptop? idk what kind of dvd player they'll have at the funeral home... should I go get a different type of DVD that would work on any/most DVD players? if you know of any that would really help

and I just tried, it does play on my computer... a folder opens and I can click the file... which I suppose is good.... but it should be more like a DVD with other options right??

dariens007

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
being that your going to be making this for family and friends you should burn them on DVD -R anyway just for the principle of widest compatability.

now your saying it plays on the computer when you open a file? it doesn't auto start with iwndows media player with title menu information and such?

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Maybe I'm saving it wrong?? When I saved it it made it a .wmv file (whatever that means) and plays just fine in windows media player. Its the fact that when I put it in my DVD player (I've tried 2 different ones now) it says 'Playback may not be available on this disk.' When I put it into the computer it just pops up with the folder showing whats in the disk... no auto play or anything.

Went and bought a 15 pack (which is WAY more then I'll ever need) of DVD-R from Walgreens and made sure to ask what the return policy is on this. I'm on my last nerve. lol

--After trying DVD-R--

Burned it to the DVD, still says same thing on BOTH DVD players.

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Ok so I downloaded that program Darien, thanks. :) Ok, so what 'format' does it need to be in? Do I save it again under a different format before burning it to the DVD, if so, what format??

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
"You don't have to do anything." My favorite phrase. Ok guys, gunna try it now. I'll let you guys know in a few min. Thanks for all the help so far!! I'm completely useless at this stuff. lol

dariens007

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
cool good luck and i second what paul said, if that program supports wmv you should be able to load it from within the program and it'll convert it to a proper dvd format

Edit: Confirmied i check supported file formats and wmv is in the programs list so yes, for sure it'll load it and convert to proper format for dvd playback

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
I totally watched that video earlier!! xD I think I've watched tons but still can't figure out why the menu shows up but the video wont... he even used .wmv which is what the video is saved as... so I have NO clue what's going on. I'm gunna watch it again to see if I missed anything.

AimeeLovely

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Yup, did that, I did everything exactly like him.... I have no idea what's happening. New DVD just finished, lets see if it works. -_- Cross your fingers. lol

FAIL

I have to have this done by 8am, its 3am now... I'm running out of ideas and patience. I only have 5hrs to get this done for the funeral. Anymore ideas... maybe something I misseD???