DVD I/O Error

I burned a back-up onto a DVD-R disk. I was able to view that the burn was
successful right after. But now, months later, when I put the DVD into the
same drive, I get the error message:
E:\ is not accessible
And it says it's because there is an I/O device error.

This drive continues read CD's with no problems. The device is enabled. It
is a DVD/CD drive. This is the same drive I burned the disc on. I'm using
Win2000 server and have checked and there are no updates for my driver.

I have a feeling it's a problem with the DVD disc itself, but I can see that
it has something burned on it, and like I said, I've viewed the contents on
it before.

Any ideas??!!!

A little update, the disc does work in another computer so the disc is not
the problem....

"britt23" wrote:

> I burned a back-up onto a DVD-R disk. I was able to view that the burn was
> successful right after. But now, months later, when I put the DVD into the
> same drive, I get the error message:
> E:\ is not accessible
> And it says it's because there is an I/O device error.
>
> This drive continues read CD's with no problems. The device is enabled. It
> is a DVD/CD drive. This is the same drive I burned the disc on. I'm using
> Win2000 server and have checked and there are no updates for my driver.
>
> I have a feeling it's a problem with the DVD disc itself, but I can see that
> it has something burned on it, and like I said, I've viewed the contents on
> it before.
>
> Any ideas??!!!

If the disc is readable in another drive then the DVD part of your drive
is not working correctly.

britt23 wrote:

> I burned a back-up onto a DVD-R disk. I was able to view that the burn was
> successful right after. But now, months later, when I put the DVD into the
> same drive, I get the error message:
> E:\ is not accessible
> And it says it's because there is an I/O device error.
>
> This drive continues read CD's with no problems. The device is enabled. It
> is a DVD/CD drive. This is the same drive I burned the disc on. I'm using
> Win2000 server and have checked and there are no updates for my driver.
>
> I have a feeling it's a problem with the DVD disc itself, but I can see that
> it has something burned on it, and like I said, I've viewed the contents on
> it before.
>
> Any ideas??!!!

Hmmm....so what should I do? Reinstall the drive? Also, do you have an idea
as to why that would happen? Just because it was working a few month ago.

"Bob I" wrote:

> If the disc is readable in another drive then the DVD part of your drive
> is not working correctly.
>
> britt23 wrote:
>
> > I burned a back-up onto a DVD-R disk. I was able to view that the burn was
> > successful right after. But now, months later, when I put the DVD into the
> > same drive, I get the error message:
> > E:\ is not accessible
> > And it says it's because there is an I/O device error.
> >
> > This drive continues read CD's with no problems. The device is enabled. It
> > is a DVD/CD drive. This is the same drive I burned the disc on. I'm using
> > Win2000 server and have checked and there are no updates for my driver.
> >
> > I have a feeling it's a problem with the DVD disc itself, but I can see that
> > it has something burned on it, and like I said, I've viewed the contents on
> > it before.
> >
> > Any ideas??!!!

The CD and the DVD use different lasers, if the one for the DVD died,
it's dead. You may attempt a reinstallation if you wish as it won't hurt
the DVD if it is broken. Remove it in device manager and then scan for
hardware.