DVD is the cause of all my problems?

Rupert

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung 12 spd DVDRom. Installing was fine, but on running the setup floppy all hell seemed to break loose ! Two additional removable drives appeared (which seemed to be my CDRW & DVD) & the original drives letters became unusable. After many crashes when I tried to run anything other than WinDVD 3, I took a look at the autoexec.bat & system.ini. For some reason a line referring to mscdex. was in 3 times. I had also been getting blue screens saying to many device drivers were loading and to elevate certain drivers to remark. As one of the autoexec entires began with rem, i left that & deleted the other two & rebooted. To my surprise and joy, all was normal and I was able to make use of the projector I'd borrowed from work. However, now when I try to play any games they freeze up after a minute or so and the PC stops responding or slows down to like 1 frame a second & the colour & resoloution screw up. Any ideas ? I've read some of the other posts and think I've done most of what is suggested (except pio settings). I've also tried various versions of Graphics drivers and reloaded directX 8.1a. Now I'm at a loss.

Spec:

800Mhz AMD TB
Asus A7V
256bm x 2 SDRam
20 Gb Maxtor
Hercules 3D Prophet2 MX (32mb orig.)
Creative SB Live Value 1024
Samsung 208b CDRW
Samsung SD612S DVD
Zip 250 internal ide
Dual boot Win98se & Win2000 sp2
Games freeze up in both versions of OS

Any ideas anyone ?

svol

Champion
Yes 300W isn't that high but it could be enough, you cab check if your Voltages differ not to much and that your CPU doens't get to hot.
Why did you used a floppy to install your DVD, Windows98 shoul detect it automatically, or did you want to install DOS drivers?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .