DVD Player and CD-R Conflict?

G

Ok I recently purchased a Creative CD-R burner and installed it on my machine. Ever since the install my dvd rom suffers greatly in performance and begins to freeze up during my cd required games. I tried placing my cd based game into the cdrw and it does not even work. Of course I can burn and load software on both drives fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What's your IDE configuration? Program you're using?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Im not a pc guru so im not sure what you mean by ide config? The problem has grown worse now.. when I boot up instead of the dvd writer and cd-rw both showing up in the bios, only the cd writer shows up. I opened the case and unplugged the cd-rw and sure enough the dvd rom reappeared again. Any help would be appreciated :)

Primary IDE- dvd rom
Secondary IDE- cd burner
Primary ata100 IDE- harddrive

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a similar problem when adding another device other than hard drives. Seems the Windows does not like it 'sometimes' when you change the connector location. Say you had a cd-rom drive as primary slave and replace it with a DVD drive as primary slave then put the cd-rom as a Secondary master or slave. The drive would just not be reconigzied. This may sound strange fix but it worked because Windows has all the drivers to reinstall. But here was 'MY' fix.

Go into Control Panel>System>Device Manager> Find your Hard Drive Controller listing. Remove the controller this is what detects the connected IDE devices ?? then reboot. Now you may have to do a couple reboots because on the boot Windows will see that there is new hard ware to install and since the drivers are there it should reinstall the previous drivers. After say 2 reboots go back into Device manager and check to see that you now have both DVD and cd-rw listed.

Best of luck

G

Thx for the info. Tried it but still no luck :( Not only does bios not detect the dvd drive but windows does not either.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Primary IDE- dvd rom
Secondary IDE- cd burner
Primary ata100 IDE- harddrive
That's what he meant by IDE configuration.

Go into your BIOS and re-autodetect the drives.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

Ok I tried that.. it will auto detect the cd writer but it wont auto detect the dvd drive. Instead it says "Primary master failed".

G

LOL it gets better... just enabled floppy detect in bios after having it off for awhile. It gives me a floppy disk failed (40). Any ideas why the floppy and the dvd rom are dead but the cd-writer is not?

G

Is it possible that my motherboard could be defective. Ive only had it 4 months. When the bios fails to detect the drives, I dont know what else to do.

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
That IDE config sounds interesting. I was thinking of doing that, cuz my writer burns nothing but coaster, but that's another stoty...

Anyway try putting your DVD as a master to your burner on the same IDE channel.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

G

Well.. im returning my a7v for a replacement. If that does not fix it im going to cry :)

G

Ok heres what I decided to do. Im afraid to send the motherboard in and pay a fee if its not broken. I switched the dvd and the cdr. Now the dvd is in the secondary master and the cdr in the primary master. Now the cd writer and the dvd work. My next step is to replace the floppy. If it does not work im going to assume the motherboard is faulty.