G

I have a 700mhz athlon with 384mb ram and a asus 6800deluxe graphics card.

I just bought a toshiba 1502 dvd player, but while playing it is very jerky, the cpu usage is 100% most of the time. Should a 700mhz athlon with the geforce card not be good enough for playing dvd's or do I need to by a decoder card?

I also have a problem with it crashing as well, windows 2000 has crashed several times using asus dvd and win dvd, same problem, screen freezes and the sound locks too. The first time it happened, it trashed windows 2000, after a complete re install the same happened, but luckily the machine will reboot now. I am using all the windows updates and the latest detonator and via drivers. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

thanks

al

G

Hi,

I have a similar problem. Slightly different spec. I have Duron 850, Asus A7V133 mobo, Asus AGP-V7100 GeForce2 MX, and a 12X LG DVD drive. I too have the latest drivers etc on W2k but on Asus DVD(PowerDVD) its still jerky and the sound is screwed.

Surely this system should play DVD OK?? I dont think its the processor as it plays at between 60 & 80% CPU. I dont think its the card, cos it can "apparently" play DVD just fine. This kinda leaves the data path between the DVD drive & the Graphics?? yes? no?

SHOULD this system work fine and I have missed some settings somewhere? Or should this system not work fine?

My laptop with a 700Mhz PIII and Ati Rage Mobility plays DVD sweet with around 60% CPU.

Someone help us guys! ;)

Tom...

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Check if DMA is enabled on your DVD drive.

The first time I installed my DVD drive, it automatically was enabled for DMA transfers, yet, after a FDISK, Format and reinstall of Windows, I had to actually manually enable DMA for that drive.

If DMA is enabled........????

G

Where exactly do I check this? (I know, silly question, but want to be sure)

If I go into device manager and look at my CD & DVD drives individually, there is no setting for DMA visible.

If I go to my Primary IDE controller, ACK!!!!... OK.. I was looking at Primary, not secondary where my CD & DVD sit.. they were set to PIO only... I'm now setting them to "DMA if available".

Gotta go reboot.. i'll let you know.. cheers.

Tom...

G

You, my friend, are a star... And I deel about this big -> .

I had kept checking this, but kept checking the wrong IDE channel.. DOH!!!!

allanjgray.. check your DMA is on man.. No.. double check.. triple check...

I was pissed off for weeks until now!!!

Tom...