G

I have recently installed a dvd drive to my pc and it causing errors.I have it set up to be slave to my IBM75gxp on ide1 with my 13.6gb maxtor as master to my plextor cd-rom on ide2 on my KT7a.My problem is that whenever I try to open win explorer the pc takes ages to show the contents and sometimes locks up saying that c drive is not responding.Furthermore if I try to play a dvd it throws up an internal error(power dvd)or just locks up(ati software for my radeon ddr).Can anyone shed any light on this.
Cheers

Fullspizz People

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like an issue with the mother board. might be DMA related, or an IDE conflict. try posting it in the motherboard section. the KT7A is well known for quirky little conflicts and such. they're usually easy to fix, and enough people have the board that they've run into it before.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

G

Whoa there! Did you say you have the DVD as a slave to a super quick IBM 75 drive and CDRW as slave on the second channel to a maxtor HD??? oh dear... you have been fed bad information!

On any IDE channel, the whole channel will run at the speed of the slowest drive attached (either master or slave)!

Try this set up:

IDE chennel 1: master=IBM 75gxp; slave=maxtor 13.5
IDE channel 2; master=DVD; slave=CDRW

I'll have to eat my eHat if that doesn't fix your problem!

All the best!

later,
bsk

G

My Plextor is just a cd-rom (not writer).I do have a writer but it a scsi Ricoh.I have tried running my maxtor as slave to my ibm but it was the same scenario.However,I seem to have sussed it out,the dvd I was accessing was about 7GIGS in size and I think that may have been the problem.

Fullspizz People