DVD +R vs. -R

A local computer store had a righteous price on 16x dual layer +R/-R DVD
burners and I picked one up-- along with some of each kind of DVD.

Which format should I use when burning? What are the
advantages/disadvantages of each?

Cleburne

Use whichever your standalone DVD player prefers.

www.videohelp.com
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:25:14 +0000, Patrick Cleburne wrote:

> A local computer store had a righteous price on 16x dual layer +R/-R DVD
> burners and I picked one up-- along with some of each kind of DVD.
>
> Which format should I use when burning? What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of each?
>
> Cleburne

-R are best for video
+R are best for data
Both can be used for the other, but some DVD players (movie) like -R
better.

-RW need to be formatted each time you re-write to them
+RW are drag/drop for adding new files, no format needed.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:03:54 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:25:14 +0000, Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>
>> A local computer store had a righteous price on 16x dual layer +R/-R DVD
>> burners and I picked one up-- along with some of each kind of DVD.
>>
>> Which format should I use when burning? What are the
>> advantages/disadvantages of each?
>>
>> Cleburne
>
>-R are best for video
>+R are best for data
>Both can be used for the other, but some DVD players (movie) like -R
>better.
>
>-RW need to be formatted each time you re-write to them
>+RW are drag/drop for adding new files, no format needed.

I don't think that any R/W CD/DVD technology is _natively_ drag/drop
(not under WinXP, anyway). I certainly have to preformat my +RW disks
before I use them in this way (with third-party drivers), though I
think that some software formats blank R/W CD/DVD media automatically
and silently when you insert it, which might lead you to believe that
formatting wasn't needed.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher