DVD ripping slower than it was

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
This has had me stumped for about a week. For some reason when I rip a DVD to my HD it is taking a lot longer than it did a week ago. It burns at good speed though. There have been no changes to the system. The drive is in DMA mode and I have tried several different IDE drivers, and nothing has resolved this. The thing that gets me is it is not EVERY disc that does this. When I insert some discs i hear the drive spin up to full speed, then a rip will happen in about 12 minutes. Some discs i hear the drive spin up a little then slow back down, then ripping takes about 30-50 minutes. The odd part is all data dvd's spin to full speed, it just seems to slow down on video. Any ideas on what might be causing this? The drive is a benq 1650, and less than a year old.

I have Defragged, cleared all spyware, no viruses, and cleaned the regestry as well. No components overclocked.

This may not be the place for such a possible illegal topic. but hey, backups are legal

You may be getting slower times due to the fact that on some disks the 12min ones the movie is still single layer or under 4.3(4.7 for marketing) gigs. And the longer ones are most likely dual layer(up to ~9 gigs). In this case your computer has to read it and compress it into a smaller file to fit on the blank 4.7(~4.3)gig disk.

Check the disks that do this with windows explorer and see if they are 7+ gig ones. and if others are 4.3 ish maybe even 5 with extras

Also note you can save space and get better quality by taking out extras and other languages(do you realy need stereo and 5.1 in DTS? just keep stereo[or to save space] if you don't have surround and keep surround if you have that, most dvd players will down mix 5.1 to 4.1 and stereo anyway.) and sub titles you will not use.

Hope this helps you make LEGAL copies of your movies.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Well the problem seems to be more a data transfer rate issue than size issue. When it's going full speed the drive is audible, and tranfers at >10000, when it is slow it is obviously quiet and the transfer rate never exceedes 2000-3000. I have checked in my various software and no speed control is activated. Thats why I thought the IDE drivers got corrupted. I can't for the life of me figure out what's slowing it down. (This is for a portable dvd player, easier to carry 1 rw with several DIVX on it rather than constantly transporting my factories) I really hope this is not a sign the drive is dying, it's not that old.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Have you tried a DVD that you have ripped "quickly" in the past and it also rips slow? I know (for instance) that some DVDs have code on them to make the burner/reader only spin so fast in order to read them properly. Possibly the issue? And with DVD drives being so cheap it is possible that its dieing. I think the one in my computer right now is goin screwy. but who knows.

ahhhhhh divx...

Well thats a new can all together.

As said try other discs that worked fine. some discs may be lower quality and the drive may be slowing to read them. And some copy schemes may also do this.

On the plus side dvd burners/readers are cheap

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Well I tried like you said, and the results are... interesting. Some that worked fine before still do, others are slow now. I can't find any consistencies between the ones that are now transferring slow. I guess I will continue to investigate until payday, if nothing works I'll try a new drive.

skyline0511

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
It depends on the type of discs. Burnt DVD-/+R discs are usually faster than pressed disc 4.7 GB (silver layer). While the Dual layered DVDs (8.4GB) are much slower than pressed disc 4.7GB.

MANOSAND

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I came across your problem with ripping speeds, and I am having a very similar problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My IDE-DVE DROM6216 drive used to rip a CD in about a minute, it now takes 6 minutes. My other drive, an HP640c used to burn CDs at 34x, now it burns at 3.7x. When both drives were working correctly, I did notice some discrepencies with different source discs, but now all discs are consistently ripping and burning slower. I have discussed this problem with a couple of people, and they both said I may have to flash my drive. The problem with that is that I could trash the drives if I do it incorrectly.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
While reading through the answers to see what kinds of ideas people had to see if something was broke, I thought of 3 things.

1. Try running a diagnostic test on your drive. Read the manual, it should have some special diagnostic mode. My plextor had me boot up the computer with the CD ROM not connected to anything with a jumper in the back.

2. Have you installed any games that use the starforce protection? A friend installed a starforce protected game and his CD/DVD drive never worked quite the same since. Even after wiping the machine and even putting it in another computer!

3. Have you tried using one of those DVD drive cleaning kits? Maybe the laser is dirty. I will be honest. I've never tried one of those in a computer, but I can't see why it won't work.

-Cyberjock