DVD Ripping software (Free)

ovechkin678

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I am currently using Handbrake for encoding purposes. Can't seem to get it to rip movies at all. I was using DVDFab to rip the DVDs but it leaves an annoying watermark throughout the movies. Is there a free DVD ripper that won't leave watermarks?

Handbrake is what I use, I've only come across a couple discs it wouldn't rip. Those discs usually acidrip or something similar will rip it, then I use Handbrake to encode it.

Linux would make your life much easier for things like this in my opinion.

ovechkin678

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Ill try to get handbrake going. It doesn't leave any watermarks at all?

ovechkin678

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Ok here is my issue. I just tried to rip The Italian Job. I set the source to the DVD drive, chose where I wanted my file to save, chose the preset for apple (this is going to be watched on an apple device) and when it finished, It was stuttering horribly.

My guess is you have a problem with your codecs. However I have that DVD, I'll try it real quick and see how it works in HandBrake for me.

Also just FYI, I don't have Apple as a preset, so I chose Ipad, Italian Job rips fine for me. The only caveat being I am using Linux.

I still say ripping / encoding / copying things is much easier in Linux. You can always boot from a USB flash drive, do what you need to, and copy it to your Windows drive where ever you want. That way you wouldn't even have to install Linux....

ovechkin678

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Both. It is incredibly choppy and grainy every second of the way and the only audio is almost like a buzzing noise. It is strange. When I ripped using DVDfab and then encoded in Handbrake, everything was perfectly fine (outside of the annoying watermark)

But when i try to do both in Handbrake, it is a total trainwreck.

My current settings in Handbrake are...

-Output Settings-

Container: MP4
Web optimized/iPod 5G support are NOT selected

-Picture-

720x480
Anamorphic: Loose
Modulus: 2
Cropping: Automatic

-Filters-

Detelecine: Off
Decomb: Decomb
(There is a dop down under this but I am not totally sure what its function is. The options are "Off, Custom, Default, Fast, Bob" It is currently set to OFF
Denoise: Off
Deblock: Slider is all the way to the left indicating OFF
Grayscale is not checked

-Video-

Video Codec: MPEG-4
Framerate: Same as Source
Constant Framerate
Quality: Constant Quality, slider all the way to the right
Average bitrate not selected

-Audio-

2 appear here. Both AC3, Codec AAC(avcodec), the 2nd is AC3 passthru, bitrate: 160, Mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II

jasonlau61

Reputable
May 21, 2015
My favourite tool for ripping DVD's is the MakeMKV. It is fee-based, but fortunately its vendor allows for one-month totally free use, and you can try it. In addition, this article offers another 5 good DVD rippers and you can check them if necessary. Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS