DVD ROM drive question (urgent )

G

Hello,
I am in a big dilemma. I want to buy a DVD drive, but I read that only some of the drives that are now in the market can read "Type 2 media". Are Type 2 media the same as DVD RAM? Does this mean that eg Pioneer (which aren't in the list below) can't read DVDs that have been written in a DVD-R-RW-RAM? I just want to be sure that the DVD drive that I'll get will be able to read every disc now and in the future.

"The drives above are read compatible with type 2 medias:

Compaq SR-8583 (5X) - 2,6go only
Compaq SR-8584 (6X) - 2,6go only
Creative DVD-5240E (5X) - 2,6go only
Creative DVD-5241E (5X) - 2,6go only
Creative DVD-6630E (6X) - 2,6go only
Creative DVD-8400E (8X) - 2,6go only
Hitachi GD-5000 (8X) - 2,6go only
Hitachi GD-7000 (8X)
Hitachi GD-7500 (12X)
Hitachi GD-8000 (16X)
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8583 (5X)(not with firmware 0U01, 0W01, 0Y01) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8584 (6X) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8585 (8X) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8587 (16X)
Toshiba SD-M1612 (16X)

Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8184 (4X) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8185 (6X) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8186 (6X) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8187 (6X) - 2,6go only

Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8174 (6X) (C version only) - 2,6go only
Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8175 (8X) - 2,6go only
Hitachi GD-S200 (8X)
Hitachi GD-S250 (8X)
Toshiba SD-C2512 (8X) "

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro2
192MB RAM
Soundblaster Live Player 5.1
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
there is compatibility format problems between DVD-RAM, DVD-RW & DVD+RW.

the pioneer is a DVD-RW & can create DVD-R, DVD-RW (2.6Gb) but not recognize DVD-RAM & DVD+RW.
there is a new pioneer drive, the DVR-7000 which will be on the market soon.

the philips has a DVD+RW format (2x,4.7Gb) which is not compatible with the DVD-RW format.

& for the third format (DVD-RAM), is one time more, not compatible with the 2 others. (eg panasonic DVD-RAM)

but all those drives can read DVD-R.

note:
i found DVD-R cartridge for 8$. it's now less expensive but i don't know if we can find some with an under price.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

G

Thanks. But I can't understand this: there are compatibility issues among these DVD writting drives. Are the DVD ROM drives (like Pioneer 106s or 116) able to read every DVD written from all the 3 types you mentioned?

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro2
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No.

The Pioneer DVD-ROM 116, 106S and AO6S can read:

DVD-ROM & VIDEO (Single and Dual-layer)
DVD-R, DVD-RW
CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA (Audio CD), CD-ROM (Mode 1 & 2)
CD-ROM XA, Video CD, Photo CD (Single & Multi-Session)
CD-EXTRA (CD-PLUS), HYBRID CD, CD-TEXT.

DVD-RAM and DVD+RW are not supported, and cannot be read by these drives.

It's not possible for you to purchase a drive that recognizes all of the competing DVD-Write standards.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

:-(
So, is there any DVD ROM drive out there that can read more formats? Proposals? I don't want to buy something now and need something else in a year or two (my CD ROM drive is 3.5 years old and can read every CD - that's what I want from my DVD ROM drive as well).

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro2
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your idea is outstanding ... it's your timing that's lousy.

You've walked into a standards "war" between the different companies who are supporting these different formats. Remember VHS and Beta? It's a similar situation in some respects.

HP, Philips, Sony, Ricoh, and Yamaha - DVD+RW
Toshiba, Hitachi, and Panasonic - DVD-RAM
Pioneer - DVD-RW

It's compatibility issues like this that make upgrading or replacing a device a fact of life.

For example, here are the supported media specifications for a couple of other popular DVD drives:

Lite-On 16x LTD163 DVD-ROM

ISO9660 Discs, Video CD, CD-DA, CD Extra, CD-RW, Karaoke CD,
CD-ROM (Mode1 & 2), CD-I/FMV, Photo-CD (Single & Multi-session), CD-ROM/XA (Mode 2, Form 1&2), Mixed Mode (Audio Combined CD-ROM Disc), DVD single/dual layer (PTP, OTP), DVD-R, DVD-RW

LG Electronics DAD-8020B DVD-ROM

DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM/DVD-R, CD-ROM,CD-ROM XA, CD-I, Photo CD Multi-Session, CD-Audio disc, CD-Text, CD-Extra, CD-R(read only), CD-RW(read only), Mixed Mode CD-ROM disc

DVD-RW and DVD+RW both claim compatibility with existing DVD players and drives, plus readability on each other's drives.

That remains to be seen.

Here are couple of links that you might find interesting:

<A HREF="http://www.ricoh.co.jp/dvd/asia/cope/video.html" target="_new">List of DVD-ROM's that have successfully read a DVD+RW disc</A>

And the mother of all DVD FAQs:

<A HREF="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html#4.3" target="_new">Jim Taylor's Official DVD FAQ</A>

Pay particular attention to section 4.3 for information on the various formats and cross-platform compatibility.

Afterwards ... make your choice. Or wait until there is a clear winner, and then purchase your new device.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

Many thanks. I'm starting reading again:)
(sometimes I recall the time that everything someone needed was a tape recorder [spectrum, commodore, amstrad...] and a small screwdriver for the azimuth...)

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro2
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

TRENDING THREADS