DVD Rom Problem

Hi,

Tonight my DVD ROM and my DVD R/W stopped reading all types of disks, I have
looked in device manager and they are both listed and it says that they are
both working correctly. I updated the firmware of both drives and still
they dont work. I am running XP Pro and I have just restored my system back
by 2 days and now the DVD R/W is working fine but not the DVD Rom. The drive
is a Liteon and is only about 6 months old with little use so I'm pretty
sure the drive is not faulty. The drive is trying to read the disks but
cant and I have tried all sorts of disks. Is there something I can check or
do to try and solve this problem please?

Thank's,

John.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:57:03 GMT, Johnny5 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tonight my DVD ROM and my DVD R/W stopped reading all types of disks, I have
> looked in device manager and they are both listed and it says that they are
> both working correctly. I updated the firmware of both drives and still
> they dont work. I am running XP Pro and I have just restored my system back
> by 2 days and now the DVD R/W is working fine but not the DVD Rom. The drive
> is a Liteon and is only about 6 months old with little use so I'm pretty
> sure the drive is not faulty. The drive is trying to read the disks but
> cant and I have tried all sorts of disks. Is there something I can check or
> do to try and solve this problem please?
>
> Thank's,
>
> John.

I had this happen to me with my DVD-Rom drive. Do you have InCD installed?
I had InCD Reader installed and uninstalled it and my drive then began
working properly. Interesting thing. I had InCD (the latest version)
installed on two different systems and it quit working on either to read a
CD-RW disk. One system has Windows 98SE and the other is XP-Pro. I figure
that something, possibly another program update, corrputed the InCD
program. Both systems have antivirus software in common (Avast).

Patty

Hello Patty,

I dont have incd installed but I do have Nero which I have been using for
some time with no problems. I haven't installed anything new on my pc
before the problem started.

"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:57:03 GMT, Johnny5 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tonight my DVD ROM and my DVD R/W stopped reading all types of disks, I
have
> > looked in device manager and they are both listed and it says that they
are
> > both working correctly. I updated the firmware of both drives and still
> > they dont work. I am running XP Pro and I have just restored my system
back
> > by 2 days and now the DVD R/W is working fine but not the DVD Rom. The
drive
> > is a Liteon and is only about 6 months old with little use so I'm pretty
> > sure the drive is not faulty. The drive is trying to read the disks but
> > cant and I have tried all sorts of disks. Is there something I can
check or
> > do to try and solve this problem please?
> >
> > Thank's,
> >
> > John.
>
> I had this happen to me with my DVD-Rom drive. Do you have InCD
installed?
> I had InCD Reader installed and uninstalled it and my drive then began
> working properly. Interesting thing. I had InCD (the latest version)
> installed on two different systems and it quit working on either to read a
> CD-RW disk. One system has Windows 98SE and the other is XP-Pro. I
figure
> that something, possibly another program update, corrputed the InCD
> program. Both systems have antivirus software in common (Avast).
>
> Patty

Sam

Sometime on, or about Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:03:22 GMT, Johnny5 wrote:

> Hello Patty,
>
> I dont have incd installed but I do have Nero which I have been using for
> some time with no problems. I haven't installed anything new on my pc
> before the problem started.
>
> "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:57:03 GMT, Johnny5 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Tonight my DVD ROM and my DVD R/W stopped reading all types of disks, I
> have
>>> looked in device manager and they are both listed and it says that they
> are
>>> both working correctly. I updated the firmware of both drives and still
>>> they dont work. I am running XP Pro and I have just restored my system
> back
>>> by 2 days and now the DVD R/W is working fine but not the DVD Rom. The
> drive
>>> is a Liteon and is only about 6 months old with little use so I'm pretty
>>> sure the drive is not faulty. The drive is trying to read the disks but
>>> cant and I have tried all sorts of disks. Is there something I can
> check or
>>> do to try and solve this problem please?
>>>
>>> Thank's,
>>>
>>> John.
>>
>> I had this happen to me with my DVD-Rom drive. Do you have InCD
> installed?
>> I had InCD Reader installed and uninstalled it and my drive then began
>> working properly. Interesting thing. I had InCD (the latest version)
>> installed on two different systems and it quit working on either to read a
>> CD-RW disk. One system has Windows 98SE and the other is XP-Pro. I
> figure
>> that something, possibly another program update, corrputed the InCD
>> program. Both systems have antivirus software in common (Avast).
>>
>> Patty

Check to be sure your IDE cable is OK. Sometimes they do go bad and it
wouldn't hurt to replace it. Also check to be sure that you have the proper
jumper settings on each drive... if you have them set on CS (Cable Select)
instead of Master/Slave it occasionally can do strange things.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first