DVD-RW does not appear in XP to write CDs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

I have a Sony DVD-RW that correctly appears in the hardware
configuration as a Sony DVD-RW DRU-500A. The problem is that I cannot
get WinXP to see the drive as also capable of burning CDs. For
example, I would like to right click on a file and have the option to
"Write these files to CD".

Will XP not allow you to burn CDs with your DVD burner?

Thanks,
Tom

peter

Hi,

No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.

Peter

Peter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
> e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.
>
> Peter

What? Did you read the question? the OP wants to burn CDs. I have a Sony
DRU510A and it burns CDs without a problem using XP's burning engine.
The OP should check the drive properties and see if burning has been
enabled. My Computer, right-click on the drive, select Properties and
open the Recording tab. "Enable CD recording on this drive" should be
checked.

Phil McCracken <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message news:<10osk4rrsc1t1ae@corp.supernews.com>...
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, XP does not support DVD burning rom , you need third party software,
> > e.g. Nero, Roxio, Plextor and many other softwares.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> What? Did you read the question? the OP wants to burn CDs. I have a Sony
> DRU510A and it burns CDs without a problem using XP's burning engine.
> The OP should check the drive properties and see if burning has been
> enabled. My Computer, right-click on the drive, select Properties and
> open the Recording tab. "Enable CD recording on this drive" should be
> checked.

That was it! I can't believe I didn't see that already. Thanks!

--Tom