DVD-RW drives shows as CD-Rom drive

I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed in
My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've tried
uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a way
I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.

TIA,
Newtechie

Ryan

Does it operate as a DVD-RW?

I've noticed your other posts and know this is a fresh build for you, it
seems like you have been having problems.

Has the build been worth it?

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed
>in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've tried
>uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a way
>I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
>There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
>
> TIA,
> Newtechie

Hi Ryan,

I'll have to say the build has been worth it. For some reason I think my
O/S didn't install correctly the first time. I was gonna do a repair
install at first but it baffled me when I just saw a partition with no
operating system there and I think that's partially my fault because I
initially did a quick format instead of the full format. I thought I could
get by since it was a new hard drive. I know better now.

As of this morning, after I applied the MS updates, it looks like the DVD-RW
is showing up which was weird because I didn't think that'll have anything
to do with it but oh well. The only thing I haven't done is tested to see
if it works so I'll do that when I get home this evening.

Thanks for your reply.

Newtechie

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does it operate as a DVD-RW?
>
> I've noticed your other posts and know this is a fresh build for you, it
> seems like you have been having problems.
>
> Has the build been worth it?
>
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed
> >in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've
tried
> >uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a
way
> >I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
> >There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Newtechie

This happens when the "IMAPI CD Burning COM service" is disabled. Go to
start > Run and enter: services.msc

Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that service is
running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click 'Start'.
Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed
>in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've tried
>uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a way
>I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
>There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
>
> TIA,
> Newtechie

I'm having a similar problem, where as I'm missing the recording tab. I have
followed several suggestions from other groups as well as the one you listed
here. I even went into the registry as suggested under Q316529 with no luck.
I came across this while using Moviemake 2 and it stated it did not see a
recordable drive. Which I have two. A sony Ilink DVD r/w +/-. And a Lite-on
cd/rw drive. Both seem to work well with Nero and MYDVD. But I can't figure
out why windows will not recognize them.

Any suggestions from this group?

Thanks,
"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> This happens when the "IMAPI CD Burning COM service" is disabled. Go to
> start > Run and enter: services.msc
>
> Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that service
> is running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click
> 'Start'. Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.
>

> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed
>>in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've tried
>>uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a
>>way I could change it in the registry or is there some type of
>>patch/update? There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Newtechie

Hi Abhilash,

It is now showing up but I will check to make sure this service is running
when I get home.
Thanks for your reply.

Newtechie

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> This happens when the "IMAPI CD Burning COM service" is disabled. Go to
> start > Run and enter: services.msc
>
> Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that service
is
> running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click 'Start'.
> Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.
>

> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I noticed
> >in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've
tried
> >uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a
way
> >I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
> >There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Newtechie

You are welcome; let us know the results.

> Hi Abhilash,
>
> It is now showing up but I will check to make sure this service is running
> when I get home.
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Newtechie
>
> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
>>
>> This happens when the "IMAPI CD Burning COM service" is disabled. Go to
>> start > Run and enter: services.msc
>>
>> Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that service
> is
>> running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click
>> 'Start'.
>> Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.
>>

>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to reformat my system and after every thing was installed I
>> >noticed
>> >in My Computer that my Sony DW-22A shows up as a cd-rom drive. I've
> tried
>> >uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. It stays the same. Is there a
> way
>> >I could change it in the registry or is there some type of patch/update?
>> >There is no firmware upgrade for this drive.
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Newtechie

Abhilash,

I had to go into services and enable the IMAPI. It was set to manual and I
had to start it. I've set it to automatic and all is good.

Thanks,
Newtechie

> You are welcome; let us know the results.
>
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Abhilash,
> >
> > It is now showing up but I will check to make sure this service is
running
> > when I get home.
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Newtechie
> >
> > "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> This happens when the "IMAPI CD Burning COM service" is disabled. Go to
> >> start > Run and enter: services.msc
> >>
> >> Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that
service
> > is
> >> running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click
> >> 'Start'.
> >> Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.
> >>

> >> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > tried
> > way

Good to know it works :)