DVD to AVI clips - something simple?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I'm working on taking DVDs with my PC and converting either clips of
certain tracks, or tracks in their entirety, and export them to AVI
files that can play in windows media player.

I've spent a couple nights downloading 1001 shareware programs and
such that seem to all end up with some different form of error or
usage restriction, does someone know of a good all-in-one package,
regardless of cost, that will do what i want to do?

For example, I want to select the start and end point of a part of a
dvd and click convert, and have an AVI file...i'm not doing it for
anything professional, just for a small project where quality isn't a
big concern. I'm then going to throw the AVIs into windows media
player in jukebox form and have it autorepeat...

As long as it doesn't look like garbage and the sound is good, i'd be
happy, but all these other routes are just getting more and more
frustrating. any tips, or if anyone knows of a good step by step
site, it's much appreciated!

Play the DVD in a regular player.
Plug the sound and video into a
DV camcorder that takes S-Video.
If the camcorder has "pass through"
(in the menu) send it to the computer.
If not, record a DV tape and then
play it back to the computer.

You'll be surprised how good it looks
(a bit pixilated, but not bad). You
can clean the copy with
Alparysoft Denoise Filter
Alparysoft Deinterlace version
(trial version at the Alparysoft site).

Then edit it as you need.

Good luck,
George

>Subject: DVD to AVI clips - something simple?
>From: pbmain@wideopenwest.com (Pete)
>Date: 6/22/2004 11:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>I'm working on taking DVDs with my PC and converting either clips of
>certain tracks, or tracks in their entirety, and export them to AVI
>files that can play in windows media player.
>
>I've spent a couple nights downloading 1001 shareware programs and
>such that seem to all end up with some different form of error or
>usage restriction, does someone know of a good all-in-one package,
>regardless of cost, that will do what i want to do?
>
>For example, I want to select the start and end point of a part of a
>dvd and click convert, and have an AVI file...i'm not doing it for
>anything professional, just for a small project where quality isn't a
>big concern. I'm then going to throw the AVIs into windows media
>player in jukebox form and have it autorepeat...
>
>As long as it doesn't look like garbage and the sound is good, i'd be
>happy, but all these other routes are just getting more and more
>frustrating. any tips, or if anyone knows of a good step by step
>site, it's much appreciated!

Also, for "fair use" copy of
commercial DVD's with encryption,
use Sima Copy This between
DVD player and camcorder.

>Subject: Re: DVD to AVI clips - something simple?
>From: georgelees@aol.comorg (G L)
>Date: 6/23/2004 5:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>Play the DVD in a regular player.
>Plug the sound and video into a
>DV camcorder that takes S-Video.
>If the camcorder has "pass through"
>(in the menu) send it to the computer.
>If not, record a DV tape and then
>play it back to the computer.
>
>You'll be surprised how good it looks
>(a bit pixilated, but not bad). You
>can clean the copy with
>Alparysoft Denoise Filter
>Alparysoft Deinterlace version
>(trial version at the Alparysoft site).
>
>Then edit it as you need.
>
>Good luck,
>George
>
>>Subject: DVD to AVI clips - something simple?
>>From: pbmain@wideopenwest.com (Pete)
>>Date: 6/22/2004 11:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>>
>>I'm working on taking DVDs with my PC and converting either clips of
>>certain tracks, or tracks in their entirety, and export them to AVI
>>files that can play in windows media player.
>>
>>I've spent a couple nights downloading 1001 shareware programs and
>>such that seem to all end up with some different form of error or
>>usage restriction, does someone know of a good all-in-one package,
>>regardless of cost, that will do what i want to do?
>>
>>For example, I want to select the start and end point of a part of a
>>dvd and click convert, and have an AVI file...i'm not doing it for
>>anything professional, just for a small project where quality isn't a
>>big concern. I'm then going to throw the AVIs into windows media
>>player in jukebox form and have it autorepeat...
>>
>>As long as it doesn't look like garbage and the sound is good, i'd be
>>happy, but all these other routes are just getting more and more
>>frustrating. any tips, or if anyone knows of a good step by step
>>site, it's much appreciated!

Jim

http://www.dvdtox.com/dvd_ripper.htm

Awesome program.

"Pete" <pbmain@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on taking DVDs with my PC and converting either clips of
> certain tracks, or tracks in their entirety, and export them to AVI
> files that can play in windows media player.
>
> I've spent a couple nights downloading 1001 shareware programs and
> such that seem to all end up with some different form of error or
> usage restriction, does someone know of a good all-in-one package,
> regardless of cost, that will do what i want to do?
>
> For example, I want to select the start and end point of a part of a
> dvd and click convert, and have an AVI file...i'm not doing it for
> anything professional, just for a small project where quality isn't a
> big concern. I'm then going to throw the AVIs into windows media
> player in jukebox form and have it autorepeat...
>
> As long as it doesn't look like garbage and the sound is good, i'd be
> happy, but all these other routes are just getting more and more
> frustrating. any tips, or if anyone knows of a good step by step
> site, it's much appreciated!

I think TMPGEnc DVD Author might do what you want EXCEPT that it might
only be able to read the first layer of dual layer DVDs.

Well, when I trialed the software, I could only get it to read the
first 15 chapters of the DVD I was reading. If it had been able to
read all the chapters I would have bought the program for the same
reasons as you . The quality was very good as I recall. The feature
I refer to is the ability to "re-edit" Video-TS.ifo files

Try it for yourself. Free trial download at
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

John

On 22 Jun 2004 20:18:00 -0700, pbmain@wideopenwest.com (Pete) wrote:

>I'm working on taking DVDs with my PC and converting either clips of
>certain tracks, or tracks in their entirety, and export them to AVI
>files that can play in windows media player.
>
>I've spent a couple nights downloading 1001 shareware programs and
>such that seem to all end up with some different form of error or
>usage restriction, does someone know of a good all-in-one package,
>regardless of cost, that will do what i want to do?
>
>For example, I want to select the start and end point of a part of a
>dvd and click convert, and have an AVI file...i'm not doing it for
>anything professional, just for a small project where quality isn't a
>big concern. I'm then going to throw the AVIs into windows media
>player in jukebox form and have it autorepeat...
>
>As long as it doesn't look like garbage and the sound is good, i'd be
>happy, but all these other routes are just getting more and more
>frustrating. any tips, or if anyone knows of a good step by step
>site, it's much appreciated!

Basically, this is the route:

1) Open the .VOBs in Mpeg-vcr, set start and end points, and save as
Mpeg (.mpg).

2) Load each .mpg into VirtuaDubMod, and save it as Avi. You better
add to job list, instead of doing them one by one.

dvd decrypter to put the DVD on the HD for processing (or use AnyDVD or
equivalent for on-the-fly)

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

then, use DVDX to convert to any video format you want, including AVI,
SVCD, DIVX, etc.

http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:19:36 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>Basically, this is the route:
>
>1) Open the .VOBs in Mpeg-vcr, set start and end points, and save as
>Mpeg (.mpg).
>
>2) Load each .mpg into VirtuaDubMod, and save it as Avi. You better
>add to job list, instead of doing them one by one.

Even easier: Just load the VOB directly into VirtualDubMod. THe
latest version can directly read VOBs.

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!