dvd vcr recorders for simple a-d xfers. opinions?

I have a medium size collection of movies on vhs, some old some not,
which I'd like to transfer to dvd. Nothing fancy -- I don't need to
edit, put in menus, etc. Just a decent transfer.

As I've been surfing around trying to see how this is done, I get the
distinct impression that you need to turn your life upside down for
it, and for all that, the results can be pretty iffy.

In my travels, I come across dvd/vcr recorders which claim to be able
to do this sort of non-geeky transfer in a $300-600 price range. Are
they any good?

Opinions?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:03:36 -0600, limner
<nowhereman@nowhereland.com> wrote:

>I have a medium size collection of movies on vhs, some old some not,
>which I'd like to transfer to dvd. Nothing fancy -- I don't need to
>edit, put in menus, etc. Just a decent transfer.
>
>As I've been surfing around trying to see how this is done, I get the
>distinct impression that you need to turn your life upside down for
>it, and for all that, the results can be pretty iffy.
>
>In my travels, I come across dvd/vcr recorders which claim to be able
>to do this sort of non-geeky transfer in a $300-600 price range. Are
>they any good?
>
>Opinions?

Why don't you go and just buy something and find out like the rest of
did?