DVD will not boot Windows 7 Pro install disk

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello,
Gateway GT5636E w/Windows Vista Home Premium 32. Trying to install Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64. The system is 64 bit compatible and I do have the BIOS set to start DVD optical Drive first and I know I need to do a clean install. Don't go there please. I am using an offical Microsoft install DVD. I place the 64 bit DVD in while Vista is running and shut down as instructions indicate. Upon reboot the system seems to ignore the DVD and reboots to Vista. Also, the 64 bit install disk will not even read in Vista. The 32 bit install disk will read in Vista. Could there be a problem with either the install disk or the DVD Drive?

So, if you put the discs in, while you're in windows, it doesn't read the 64 bit disc? Yes, that could be a problem with either. Does the disc look scratched or smudged? If yes, try cleaning it.

You may also want to try disabling all other boot devices.

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I did clean this disk several times. Also, I just bought on ebay received yesterday and it has been used. It does not have any really bad scratches and actually looks pretty normal. Initially, the DVD had a burn load qued that I deleted. When I read the 64 Install DVD I was getting the burn load que so I deleted the que. Vista tries to read and the spinning disk w/glass timer flashes but ultimately it fails. In fact the DVD player ejects while the drive appears to still be reading and asks to insert DVD. The green bar at the top completely fills. I only know enough to be dangerous.

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Yes, I think I have done this. If you press F10 you get the boot order. I highlight the optical Drive and hit F10 again for "Save and Exit" hit "Y" for the are you sure you want to do this bit and then I get nothing. I have rebooted at least a dozen plus times and get the same thing every time - Vista.

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I don't see how you could manufacturer a pair Windows 7 Pro Anytime Upgrade discs. How could this be a scam. They could be damaged in some unknowable way but what would be the point. I can return and will if convinced they are damaged - but again why go through the time and hassle of selling junk on ebay. You won't do it long.

blackacidevil

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
im looking at this topic too. And everyones got the right questions or answers. but could you give us more information.

So I'll organize everyones stuff and correct some,.

When you power on, press the PAUSE key, to give the computer an extra 10 seconds, to get everything ready, prehaps the drive isn't at the point where its spinned up and ready to check the drive. You can push any other key to stop the pause. This is universal on all computers not just gateway

1) The 64 bit DVD could not have possibly worked in Vista, since its a 32 bit operating system, 32 bit cant use any 64 bit files, so you can usually only upgrade by making a clean install, but it will save your vista and you can dual boot.

2) Like Area 51 and a couple others said, please tell us you have checked the bios. Since the time we had more than two devices in our computers, like a floppy drive and a hard drive, the bios has usually had a boot priority or boot order in the bios menu. (Which is accessible by either pressing F2 or F12, when you turn the computer on, just press them faster than 1 press a second or you might miss that)

-----> The BOOT ORDER, must have your DVD rom drive as the first boot device. I wouldn't be suprised if gateway has set it as default not to use the DVD ROM as boot up, maybe they can milk more money out of gateway owners for service calls.

-----> So you can change this in the BIOS Menu , look for the option, check every catagory until you find something with boot and check it.

3) Do you have two DVD rom drives. Prehaps you are putting it in the wrong drive.

Last note is this, you should have tried all the above by now and fixed the problem.

But Im really hoping that four people didn't reply to this question because you simply didnt burn a dvd properly. HOw to test you did.

ASk yourself, when was the last time you burned a dvd, and is that dvd working?

Go and burn a DVD with something like sardu / or some sort of boot cd hirens (might as well have it) to see if its a bad iso you have or please god no a bad dvd burn. Ill throw dvds at you.

Couple things to note.

If you burned the DVD on a different PC, and you are trying it on another. I was suprised because that happened to me today, i thought it was an old wifes tale because ive never encountered any real compatibility issues with dvds in different drives, since a burner 2x cd was 899$ to buy.

I had 3 boot cd's i bought over to a customers house,3 of them would not boot up, one time one of the three did boot up but I couldn't get it to do it agian.

- 2 of the DVD's were Lightscribe , but he had a lightscribe drive
- Another one was a Maxell DVD + R

So I decided to skip that for now and install windows, and bang, it has no trouble recongizing the disc, it was a dvd rw imation some shitty brand. So the point is that can be the issue.

And agian, tell me your not on your last dvd and have tried burning another copy.

KK

blackacidevil

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Can you give us the link to the auction. I've sold on ebay back when selling virtual currency in utlima/everquest, i am playeritems with 14,811 feedback.

So I know Ebay is damn fast on removing any violations to intellilecutal property. By using VERO, it allows the company, watchdogs, cyber / anti piracy groups, to be able to go and remove auctions without the help of ebay. Microsoft would be very fast.

But people are smart, they'll figure out wording around it.

Two things, how long has the seller been a member. ?
Chinese often make an account and rack up the bill until its 30 days to pay the bill, skip town and open another one.

Herse my final answer and again an angry answer. I was stuck doing a repair, and did an outstanding job, cleaned up / air brushed out dust, 13 scans, utilites, min services, to get this computer in great shape. It used to freeze up at random times.

I noticed that the Hard drive was always getting corupted. So I got a call, and all that work I put in, to them looks like I didnt fix their computer. Its high school techie kids from best buy who sold a shitty hard drive and thats why Im back helping them, because of their support and terms.

Do you see all everyone has written.?

Where is that damn seller. send him this link, kick his ass. Offer to leave him negative feedback unless its resolved in 7 days. He can also send you a DVD and must be sent within 3 to 5 business days. These are things I had to do for customers, you can't get away with selling crap things, people complain and they kick up a storm when they are behind a computer and dont have to complain in person.

So theres two options,

First you say to seller, I got a defective product. I picked your ebay auction because you seemed like a reliable seller and I felt comfortable making the purchase with you. Unforunately I've had nothing but many wasted hours and re-configuring and checking my computer for some sort of error on my end.

It's upsetting since, I trusted that this item would be in working order as described. I also noted that the DVD would arrive by time because I am installing this for my brother on his computer and he is returning (Somewhere far) in the next week.

I realize mistakes happen, but this is not acceptable. The only options I can give you are.

1. Send a DVD out in 3 to 5 business days max, if you can't do that or won't afford the shipping to do so. Realize that I've already waited the time for this one to come, plus the time sorting this out with you and the time remaining for you to ship it. This is not my fault.

2. Refund the money within 48 hours

I want to avoid anymore hassle or time I dont have dealing with this. So I trust you can send a tested dvd out or refund. Otherwise, I will have to fill out negative feedback and file a seller dispute with ebay if you aren't willing to refund my money.

I've also noted as a reseller of Microsoft products, it is your responsibility to provide refund or immediate solution to this. Microsoft Certified Partners and bigbox stores can be a reseller of the product. you must provide this service. And Im beginning to wonder if this is a fraud copy.

Thank you

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

OK, 1. The system only has one DVD Drive. It is a DVD+-/R/W/Ram/Labelflash.
2. I did have to change the BIOS because - you were correct - Gateway has it set to default at what they call "NORMAL"
I had to go to ADVANCE - when you go to the ADVANCE area it lists the drives in order - the DVD drive was first in the list.
I highlighted the list and hit F10 - this saves and exits.
3. I did not copy the install disks. The disks were bought on ebay - I received 6/30/11 and proceeded to install after spending several days getting all my files copied to an external hard drive using Windows Easy Transfer and copy. I only brought up the qued files item becasue when I initally put the 64 bit Windows install disc in Vista for a read after it failed to boot it listed the .tiff and .jpg files my son had qued previously for a burn to a DVD. I thought that was odd. Why would it read this materail and not what was on the install disk. I deleted the qued material. Vista will read and go to the setup.exe for 32 bit disk but will not read the 64 bit disk.

blackacidevil

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Damn it ! thats not an install DVD. I checked ebay, its a dvd with instructions on how to use THE KEY they gave you to download and upgrade your system.

You take that KEY , go on Microsoft, go to windows upgrade, type it in, and it upgrades

You dont get a disc, that disc is just instructions on how to use the code and your web browser to get the upgrade.

geez dude

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

I had this happen to me a few years ago. I bought win XP pro which was suppose to be new but win would not activate. It said it was not a legel copy. According to what lrp64 said in his link to e-bay this was a new copy and a never used retail version but why did the disc look like it was used. I would send it back at once.

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have come to the conclusion that the original Microsoft Install disk for the 64 bit version is possibly damaged. The to sellers credit I do not believe he said it was new and unused he just said that it was genuine and a full version. I would have to assume that I would have been able to use the included serial numbers to authenticate. Not so sure how that works if it was already installed once on another machine. I was just trying to save some money - this *** is really cooll and all but very damned expensive.

Under the item specifics, it says:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging

I would try the discs on another computer first, to see if it reads them correctly. If so, you may just have a bad DVD drive. If not, then send them back.

LrP64

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I agree with you - but I don't see how a very authentic looking Windows 7 install disc w/laser images all around the sides of the disk could be manipulated and I don't really see the point unless there is a hack for Windows 7 which I rather doubt. But, whatever, the disk is used and upon a second look at his auction he claims this is a new factory sealed box. It was sealed but I can tell you the disk was not virginal. So now I am worried I just lost $125.00. There a lesson for the kids.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Before you go all psycho on the seller make sure you test the discs on another machine. Find someone with Nero on their machine and see what it says the discs are. I think it can identify if they are writable (fake) discs. You can download a trial version for free. I'm sure there are free utilities to identify discs, but I have not looked for them.

As long as you paid with Paypal you can get your money back if they are fake. If they are real and don't work in any machine then get the seller to replace them or get a refund through Paypal.

G

I had the same problem. The new Windows 7 Professional OEM DVD wouldn't boot from an older DVD drive.

I got it to work by turning on the computer without the DVD in the DVD reader/burner tray.

When the screen said to insert a bootable media I then put the DVD in the tray and closed it. Windows 7 Pro immediately started to load.

Funtyme41

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

I have a Gateway too and trying running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I am trying to do a clean reinstall and am having the same problem. I have gone into bios and set the boot order correctly and still will not boot. I had read with Gateway that there is something in the system that allows reinstall from the computer without a softwear disk. I think I am going to have to call Gateway to see. I am trying to do a clean reinstall and upgrade to pro. I have new license no too. It did let me upgrade after booting to Win 7 Home but won't let me do a clean reinstall. A had a bad virus on the computer that I could not get off by running antivirus programs so that is why I wanted to do a clean reinstall. I still think that this may be a Gateway thing....not a softwear problem.

TRENDING THREADS