DVD Writer causing reboot

I have an Windows XP Home, MSI MS-6712 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 2600+,
768Mg of ram, a recently added MSI FX5500 256Mg video card, and a
Soundblaster Live 5.1.
My problem, I recently bought a Benq DW1610 DVD Rewriter and it worked fine
for about 3 weeks, I had upgraded the firmware, everytime I put in a CD or
DVD it would reboot my computer. I contacted Benq and they asked me to return
it and sent me a DW1620. Right out of the box this one did the same thing. I
tried it in Safe Mode and it seemed to work fine, but won't work in Windows,
even when I turned off all running programs.
I did some research on the net and remember seeing something about an Nvidia
driver causing havoc to some other part of someone's computer.
With nothing to lose I rolled back my Nvidia driver form the latest to the
previous, and the DVD Writer seems to work, that is I can insert CD's and
DVD's without the computer rebooting.
Is this at all possible that the video card driver is somehow conflicting
with the DVD Writer in any way, if not have you any suggestions to remedy
this.
--
Nitrox

More likely an insufficient power supply unit after all those upgrades.
www.coribright.com

"nitrox" <nitrox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Windows XP Home, MSI MS-6712 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 2600+,
> 768Mg of ram, a recently added MSI FX5500 256Mg video card, and a
> Soundblaster Live 5.1.
> My problem, I recently bought a Benq DW1610 DVD Rewriter and it worked
> fine
> for about 3 weeks, I had upgraded the firmware, everytime I put in a CD or
> DVD it would reboot my computer. I contacted Benq and they asked me to
> return
> it and sent me a DW1620. Right out of the box this one did the same thing.
> tried it in Safe Mode and it seemed to work fine, but won't work in
> Windows,
> even when I turned off all running programs.
> I did some research on the net and remember seeing something about an
> Nvidia
> driver causing havoc to some other part of someone's computer.
> With nothing to lose I rolled back my Nvidia driver form the latest to the
> previous, and the DVD Writer seems to work, that is I can insert CD's and
> DVD's without the computer rebooting.
> Is this at all possible that the video card driver is somehow conflicting
> with the DVD Writer in any way, if not have you any suggestions to remedy
> this.
> --
> Nitrox

I would like to get a 400 or 450 watt power supply in the new year, I
currently have a 350 watt. I don't think this is the reason though for this
problem, because I have for the last 6 to 8 months had two case fans 2 hard
drives and a CD-rewriter and CD-Rom/then DVD-Rom and never had any problems,
very stable system.
The only thing I wonder about is whether the DVD Writer takes a lot more
power to run than does the CD-Writer, in which case the power supply would
come in to question.