Dvd writer plays dvds but won't write or play cds

klfish

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Hello,
My HP Media Center 2005 [XP Pro] DVD Writer 740r stopped playing CDs or writing to CD or DVD but plays DVDs and opens photo CDs. Device Manager says it's working; everything is enabled. HP Troubleshoot had me uninstall the driver which reinstalled on new boot. I've tried the Microsoft fixes listed here[removing U/L filters] without success. I didn not find PxHelp20 to remove from regedit. Microsoft's Mr. FixIt couldn't fix it. I've checked connections [all good] and removed, then reinstalled, the ODD. When I tried to download an old HP firmware update for this driver, it said my machine was not configured for this writer. Is there a way to know if this is just a bad ODD? Or how do I configure the ODD so HP recognizes it? It's listed in BIOS on the third channel with 0, the second drive as 1. The jumper is set to Cable Select. It's enabled for startup. Thank you for any help you can give me.

klfish

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

PS No viruses. Laser Lens Cleaner won't work because CD is not recognized. I did find PxHelp in system/drivers. Deleted. No change in drive behavior. The green drive light goes on, but does not flash.

klfish

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
You may close this thread. I bought a new ODD yesterday which seems to have solved the problem. Guess, in my case, part of the old drive was hosed. Thanks!