DVD writer won't load any discs

Katoshi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
I'm having a really weird problem since I installed this motherboard about half a year ago. I've tried 3 different DVD writers and they all are not able to read any discs I put into the drive under windows, but when I use them to install windows they read the CD ok. I tried using an old cdrw I have and it's got no problem reading any discs, so it's a problem happening with dvd writers only (I haven't tried any DVD-rom yet).

Motherboard is Abit AN8 Ultra and I have nothing else on IDE. Nvidia IDE drivers and firewall are both not installed as they gave me problems for months crashing my system to BSOD randomly. I cannot find any cause to this so I hope someone can help me solve this weird problem, many thanks in advance.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
That's quite odd.

You say you've tried 3 different drives? Then we know it's not your drive that's faulty.

You plugged a CD-RW into the same mobo socket and it works? Then we know it isn't your mobo/cable.

Which would lead me to think that it's a software problem. Have you installed any games protected by the dreaded Starforce?

Oh, and can you "see" your drive in Windows?

Katoshi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
Let me list it out to make it more clear:

1, I can install windows with the drives without any problem (therefore they all can read discs fine prior to completing windows installtion)

2, Once I get into windows my drive would stop functioning properly, that's before I have a chance to install anything from the CD, NOTHING is installed so no software is clashing with it

3, I change to my old CD-RW and it works without any fault at all

4, My drive is displayed under my computer, when I insert any CD/DVD in for it to read it'd either no load or take a very long time to just read the title of the disc, I can sometimes browse the content of the disc, most the the time it'd just freeze up for ages and show a blank disc. Not even the icon of the disc can load, it shows up as the icon when windows don't recgonise the file type icon

I cannot think of anything that could lead to this. It was an upgrade to my old computer and the parts I changed are Abit AN8 Ultra, X850XT and a WD SATA II hdd. I can only think the motherboard is causing all this.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Could it be drive jumper selection? I'd have thought that would show up in the boot process though.

Othwerwise, sounds like incompatibility between your motherboard and DVD drive?

Have you installed the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard? Also, check the support forums for your motherboard to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Katoshi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah jumpers are fine, and I've tried 3 different drives all different brands so I doubt it's incompatability issues. I also posted this on teh abit forums and no one seems to have a similar problem as I do.

Bios + drivers are all up to date.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Well, I'm at a loss then. The only thing that's changed is your motherboard, but I'm surprised that it only has a problem once Windows boots.

Looks like a warranty job to me. You'll probably have to go through the hassle of explaining everything to them like you have to us... :(

Katoshi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah it's been driving me crazy this, I don't have to return this tho as I always build a computer with my old parts after an upgrade and sell it off and get some money back :)

So many people suggested so many things on various forums, I personally never heard of this problem before. Hope someone will come up with a solution somewhere soon :?