This question is somewhat off topic but it does have something to do with
what happens to software after you build a new computer.

I recently purchased a copy of DVD Xcopy before they lost the court case
over the decrypter in their software. I installed it on a Sony Vaio desktop
I have and it works fine. I built a new computer last week and wanting to
do my dvd copying on the new new machine, I installed the software on the
new machine. The first time I tried to use it, the software asks to
register itself. I do it. I then try to copy an encrypted dvd and the
program will not do it. It says the dvd in encrypted and it can' t copy it.
Were they able to cripple the program during the registration process
somehow? I uninstalled it and tried again. That didn't work. The second
time, the program did not even ask me to register it. Anyone have any ideas
about how to get a working copy on my new machine?

--
rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com

<pili543@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This question is somewhat off topic but it does have something to do with
> what happens to software after you build a new computer.
>
> I recently purchased a copy of DVD Xcopy before they lost the court case
> over the decrypter in their software. I installed it on a Sony Vaio
desktop
> I have and it works fine. I built a new computer last week and wanting to
> do my dvd copying on the new new machine, I installed the software on the
> new machine. The first time I tried to use it, the software asks to
> register itself. I do it. I then try to copy an encrypted dvd and the
> program will not do it. It says the dvd in encrypted and it can' t copy
it.
> Were they able to cripple the program during the registration process
> somehow? I uninstalled it and tried again. That didn't work. The second
> time, the program did not even ask me to register it. Anyone have any
ideas
> about how to get a working copy on my new machine?
>
> --
> rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com

Did you happen to accept their offer to "upgrade" the program while you were
connected? I know that the version they were "upgrading" to after the court
decision emasculates the program. And there was no warning about that the
upgrade was actually a downgrade (hint: I got bitten myself) Good thing is
that you should be able to go back to the original version.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

pili543@bellsouth.net wrote:

> This question is somewhat off topic but it does have something to do with
> what happens to software after you build a new computer.
>
> I recently purchased a copy of DVD Xcopy before they lost the court case
> over the decrypter in their software.

That's a shame, since DVDShrink works better and is free.

-WD

On 30-Mar-2004, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote:

> <pili543@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > This question is somewhat off topic but it does have something to do
> > with
> > what happens to software after you build a new computer.
> >
> > I recently purchased a copy of DVD Xcopy before they lost the court case
> > over the decrypter in their software. I installed it on a Sony Vaio
> desktop
> > I have and it works fine. I built a new computer last week and wanting
> > do my dvd copying on the new new machine, I installed the software on
> > the
> > new machine. The first time I tried to use it, the software asks to
> > register itself. I do it. I then try to copy an encrypted dvd and the
> > program will not do it. It says the dvd in encrypted and it can' t copy
> it.
> > Were they able to cripple the program during the registration process
> > somehow? I uninstalled it and tried again. That didn't work. The
> > second
> > time, the program did not even ask me to register it. Anyone have any
> ideas
> > about how to get a working copy on my new machine?
> >
> > --
> > rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com
>
> Did you happen to accept their offer to "upgrade" the program while you
> were
> connected? I know that the version they were "upgrading" to after the
> court
> decision emasculates the program. And there was no warning about that the
> upgrade was actually a downgrade (hint: I got bitten myself) Good thing is
> that you should be able to go back to the original version.
> --
> John McGaw
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]
> http://johnmcgaw.com

They didn't offer me an upgrade. All I did was register. Even after
uninstalling and trying to install it again, it would not work. There is
definitely some remnant of the first install that is corrupting my efforts
to install the program on my new computer. Something is hidden somewhere.
rpilgrim7448@nospam.com

--
rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com

Don_B

Assuming you use Windows, do you feel comfortable using Regedit?

<rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com> wrote in message

> On 30-Mar-2004, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote:
>
> > <pili543@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > This question is somewhat off topic but it does have something to do
> > > with
> > > what happens to software after you build a new computer.
> > >
> > > I recently purchased a copy of DVD Xcopy before they lost the court
case
> > > over the decrypter in their software. I installed it on a Sony Vaio
> > desktop
> > > I have and it works fine. I built a new computer last week and
wanting
> > > do my dvd copying on the new new machine, I installed the software on
> > > the
> > > new machine. The first time I tried to use it, the software asks to
> > > register itself. I do it. I then try to copy an encrypted dvd and the
> > > program will not do it. It says the dvd in encrypted and it can' t
copy
> > it.
> > > Were they able to cripple the program during the registration process
> > > somehow? I uninstalled it and tried again. That didn't work. The
> > > second
> > > time, the program did not even ask me to register it. Anyone have any
> > ideas
> > > about how to get a working copy on my new machine?
> > >
> > > --
> > > rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com
> >
> > Did you happen to accept their offer to "upgrade" the program while you
> > were
> > connected? I know that the version they were "upgrading" to after the
> > court
> > decision emasculates the program. And there was no warning about that
the
> > upgrade was actually a downgrade (hint: I got bitten myself) Good thing
is
> > that you should be able to go back to the original version.
> > --
> > John McGaw
> > [Knoxville, TN, USA]
> > http://johnmcgaw.com
>
> They didn't offer me an upgrade. All I did was register. Even after
> uninstalling and trying to install it again, it would not work. There is
> definitely some remnant of the first install that is corrupting my efforts
> to install the program on my new computer. Something is hidden somewhere.
> rpilgrim7448@nospam.com
>
> --
> rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com

If someone gives me an exact set of directions, I have made a few changes.
I assume from your response that there must be a change in my registry. I
thought that might be the problem. In the meantime, I did find a suitable
replacement in a combination of DVD Encyrpter, DVD Shrink and a trial
version of Nero. It worked well in my first effort. If you send some
instructions, I'll give it a try.

On 30-Mar-2004, "Don_B" <Don_B@comcast.fak> wrote:

> Assuming you use Windows, do you feel comfortable using Regedit?
>
> <rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > On 30-Mar-2004, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote:
> >
> > > <pili543@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> case
> > > desktop
> wanting

Don_B

I don't have any specific instructions and if you've got a working solution,
stick with it. A lot of these installations drop all kinds of junk into the
registry. DVD X Copy obviously dropped something. You can often solve this
problem by going through the registry and looking for instances of _
_[company name that made the program]_ _. If you have to resort to this
brute force technique, I recommend doing it AFTER you use the program
unistaller. In theory, no aspects of the program should then be left and
ripping out what you do find should do no harm. Boy, have I come to
appreciate the nuances of "should."