DVD ?

I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually do
both? Will I regret not having dual drives? Will the software
supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
CD-R or DVD?

Thanks for your input.

~k

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
>I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
> I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually do
> both?

Yes, a dual layer DVD+/-R/RW drive can handle it.

>Will I regret not having dual drives?

Perhaps but probably not. Drive failure would be as bad as it gets, and the
drive could be replaced quickly and fairly inexpensively.

>Will the software
> supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
> CD-R or DVD?

Yes.

Stew

curious

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:06:18 -0500, "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote:

>I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
>I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually do
>both?

AFAIK, all dvd burners also burn cd.

Go here and check the burn function you want to get a list of dvd
burners:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters

LG GSA-4163B has good reviews and price may drop once LG GSA-4165B
comes out sometime this month.

www.newegg.com has good prices on burners.

> Will I regret not having dual drives? Will the software
>supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
>CD-R or DVD?
>
>Thanks for your input.
>
>~k

In article <S9Rfe.473$Q15.5014@eagle.america.net>, Kmee@nospammsn.com
says...

> I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
> I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually do
> both?

Oh, yes indeed. The Plextor PX-216A is one of the best possible
drives to do this.

> Will I regret not having dual drives?

I have no idea. Having dual drives does help with a little
redundancy, if one happens to go pafooey, but that's a choice you'll
need to make.

> Will the software
> supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
> CD-R or DVD?

I have no idea what Dell is supplying these days, but I question
the value of CD-R or DVD backups vs. time-tested and proven technologies
such as DLT.

However, it's your system, and only you can decide how important
having your data backed up is. Configure it how you wish.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Thanks.

~k

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
>I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
> I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually
do
> both?

Yes, a dual layer DVD+/-R/RW drive can handle it.

>Will I regret not having dual drives?

Perhaps but probably not. Drive failure would be as bad as it gets,
and the
drive could be replaced quickly and fairly inexpensively.

>Will the software
> supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
> CD-R or DVD?

Yes.

Stew

Thanks for the info.

~k
"Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:06:18 -0500, "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote:

>I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
>I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually
do
>both?

AFAIK, all dvd burners also burn cd.

Go here and check the burn function you want to get a list of dvd
burners:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters

LG GSA-4163B has good reviews and price may drop once LG GSA-4165B
comes out sometime this month.

www.newegg.com has good prices on burners.

> Will I regret not having dual drives? Will the software
>supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
>CD-R or DVD?
>
>Thanks for your input.
>
>~k

Thanks for replying.

~k
"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
In article <S9Rfe.473$Q15.5014@eagle.america.net>, Kmee@nospammsn.com
says...

> I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new
system.
> I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually
do
> both?

Oh, yes indeed. The Plextor PX-216A is one of the best possible
drives to do this.

> Will I regret not having dual drives?

I have no idea. Having dual drives does help with a little
redundancy, if one happens to go pafooey, but that's a choice you'll
need to make.

> Will the software
> supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
> CD-R or DVD?

I have no idea what Dell is supplying these days, but I question
the value of CD-R or DVD backups vs. time-tested and proven
technologies
such as DLT.

However, it's your system, and only you can decide how important
having your data backed up is. Configure it how you wish.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

The 4163B is a great drive. And any DVD burner will burn CDs. The dual layer
would actually be a step up from a normal DVD burner inasmuch as it will
burn the new DVD dual layer media.

Regards,
John O.

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
>I do not have a DVD in my current Dell. Am configuring a new system.
> I need to burn both CD-r's and DVD's. Will a single drive actually do
> both? Will I regret not having dual drives? Will the software
> supplied with the new Dell be adequate for simple backups to either
> CD-R or DVD?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> ~k

TRENDING THREADS