DVDR drives and Win98

"Terry" <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote:

>Is there a brand of Dvd-r drive that'll run under a windows pre-XP
>operating system?

I doubt that there are any drives that *wouldn't* work under Win98
unless you're talking about an external USB 2.0 drive or something out
of the ordinary. System requirements are generally listed on the box
(or on the website when buying online).

terry

Thanks for the response. I as well don't see why they shouldn't work, but
I've seen on a SONY and another brand they list 2000, XP as a requirement.
I also remember when the first one hit the market, it listed XP as a
requirement. It could be it just their bundled software that has
requirements... but when you don't know you don't know.

As I'm in the middle of a project, I don't want to change OS's quite yet.
Especially since everything works just as it should. But I do have quite a
bit I'd like to back-up.

Terry wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I as well don't see why they shouldn't work, but
> I've seen on a SONY and another brand they list 2000, XP as a requirement.
> I also remember when the first one hit the market, it listed XP as a
> requirement. It could be it just their bundled software that has
> requirements... but when you don't know you don't know.
>
> As I'm in the middle of a project, I don't want to change OS's quite yet.
> Especially since everything works just as it should. But I do have quite a
> bit I'd like to back-up.
>

> <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Terry" <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a brand of Dvd-r drive that'll run under a windows pre-XP
>>>operating system?
>>
>>I doubt that there are any drives that *wouldn't* work under Win98
>>unless you're talking about an external USB 2.0 drive or something out
>>of the ordinary. System requirements are generally listed on the box
>>(or on the website when buying online).

I have a Sony (510) with win 98se and you are right about the bundled
software not working. The burner is excellent, but I use Ulead software.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

"Terry" <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response. I as well don't see why they shouldn't work, but
>I've seen on a SONY and another brand they list 2000, XP as a requirement.
>I also remember when the first one hit the market, it listed XP as a
>requirement. It could be it just their bundled software that has
>requirements... but when you don't know you don't know.

I have two Pioneer DVD-R drives (A05 and 107), and they have both
worked fine under Win98SE. Depending on what you're doing, you might
occasionally run into the 4GB file size limit with FAT32 under
Win98SE, but it's usually not difficult to work around that.

Hactar

In article <rS4Jc.12519$Mr4.10656@pd7tw1no>,
Terry <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote:
> I as well don't see why they shouldn't work, but
> I've seen on a SONY and another brand they list 2000, XP as a requirement.
> I also remember when the first one hit the market, it listed XP as a
> requirement. It could be it just their bundled software that has
> requirements... but when you don't know you don't know.

I'd vote for that. Save money and buy a drive without any software; I did,
as they don't make software that runs under Linux (my OS) anyhow.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
SAGITTARIUS: All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill

terry

Hey thanks everyone for taking the time to share. I did get myself one and
it works just find without the need to install anything. I got it OEM but
the place included Nero 6 which was a nice touch.