[SOLVED] DVI AUDIO PS4

gadionysopoulos

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
i have a ps4 connected to my monitor via HDMI with a DVI adapter. I thought that DVI doesn't support audio but a friend of mine said that i am wrong.

The monitor is an ASUS VG278Q
I checked what type of DVI i have and it said dual link, so i checked if dual link dvi support audio and they say that it does.

Solution
HDMI signals are used when connecting from a DVI port to an HDMI display, which will support audio. However, connecting from an HDMI source to a DVI display will use DVI signals, which do not support audio.
DVI audio has been used in the past, but it's always been a non-official use of DVI. Both ATI and NVIDIA passed audio over DVI->HDMI connections at one point or another, for instance.

My strong suspicion is that going the other way (HDMI->DVI) would drop the audio portion; most of the documented use of audio-over-DVI was using it to carry audio to an outgoing HDMI connection, not the other way around.

DVI audio has been used in the past, but it's always been a non-official use of DVI. Both ATI and NVIDIA passed audio over DVI->HDMI connections at one point or another, for instance.

My strong suspicion is that going the other way (HDMI->DVI) would drop the audio portion; most of the documented use of audio-over-DVI was using it to carry audio to an outgoing HDMI connection, not the other way around.
It's actually just that the DVI ports on graphics cards support output of HDMI signals when connected to an HDMI display :) all other HDMI features work too, such as YCbCr color, and 4K 60 Hz if the graphics card supports HDMI 2.0.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
As the guy who's had at least some involvement hooking up most of the monitors in our company, I've never had a DVI input carry audio even when using HDMI to DVI adapters. Certain DVI types might be capable of carrying audio, but the manufacturers making the monitors have to have support for this programmed and wired in, and so far, I've never seen this.

The PS4 does have an optical audio out port, so if nothing else, this could be hooked up to a cheap soundbar with optical in, or to regular speakers using an optical to analog converter (basic ones with L/R stereo + headphones are currently $10 to $15 on Amazon).