DVI backwards compatible with HDMI, but the other way around

russell2002

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hi,

I understand that a HDMI display can take a signal from a DVI output with an adaptor.

But can a HDMI output go into a DVI monitor.

And if so, would this work at all normal resolutions.

Thanks & confused...

russell2002

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hi,

Thats for that link, I read it and understand.

However, I have Dell 2407 Monitor with DVI in, my new notebook has HDMI out only.

So I have got a cable (HDMI to DVI) but it does not work, the monitor refuses to accept the signal and switcvhes itself off.

I do not understand why this should be if HDMI is DVI with sound.

Any advice.

Thanks.

That seems strange, I mean its your notebook and you should know but i would have thought it would have more than just the one HDMI output. What make is it if you dont mind me asking ?

You would need to check some of the basics as it should really be working. Like are you outputting a resolution the display can accept. Also im sure it is but is the monitor HDCP compliant ? Thats, High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Intel's content protection scheme for digital displays.

Mactronix

russell2002

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hi,

Its a Sony FW11 series, new model. 1 X HDMI and 1 X VGA.

I have tried multiple resolutions at multiple refresh rates. 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1280x1024 and so on.

The VGA output works great.

I am not sure if the Dell 2407 (revision a02)
is HDCP, but should it matter based if HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI and content is my desktop !

Thanks.

Do you have the monitor set in multimedia mode ? and is the colour set to pc ? If the monitor isnt in multimedia mode you wont have any post processing and it may well need this to convert the signal properly.

Mactronix

russell2002

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hi,

I have changed monitor settings extensivly and performed a full reset, I even updated the display driver on my notebook and used powerstrip to try some custom settings.

I am thinking that either the monior HDCP is in error been in an early revision of the monitor, or the HDMI output on the notebook is somehow only going to work when playing blue ray films of similar.

I assume HDCP is always on regardless of whats shown on screen, desktop or film.

Thanks.

russell2002

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
PS, whats intresting is that the monitor is seen by the computer and relevant resolutions become availble on display properties, and the monitor accepts a computer is connected but that no valid signal is been sent.

No. I am not 100% sure but i do beleive you need to be playing a HD disc for it to output as in it needs HD content to send over the HDMI.
If you havent been trying to play an actual film on it i think you should. :)

Mactronix