[SOLVED] DVI-D Connectivity to Smart TV

Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been an avid PC gamer since the Spectrum 48k days and now I find myself out of my depths for some answers so I was hoping you could help please ?

I have a W7 rig with a GTX1080 and I have recently purchased a Samsung Q90r and I would like to connect the two up. My GTX is dual link DVI-D and the Samsung One Connect box only has HDMI inputs so I understand that I need a cable with those two connections but is it just a simple case of connecting the two and voila ? I know I wont be capable of running 4K resolutions but what sort of displays and refresh rates could I possibly hope to achieve ? The TV is in a different room so I'm going to have to use a 6m cable (and drill a hole in the wall, haven't told the wife that bit !!), will the signal degenerate over that sort of distance ?

Thanks for any advice :)

Solution
Hello everyone,

I've been an avid PC gamer since the Spectrum 48k days and now I find myself out of my depths for some answers so I was hoping you could help please ?

I have a W7 rig with a GTX1080 and I have recently purchased a Samsung Q90r and I would like to connect the two up. My GTX is dual link DVI-D and the Samsung One Connect box only has HDMI inputs so I understand that I need a cable with those two connections but is it just a simple case of connecting the two and voila ? I know I wont be capable of running 4K resolutions but what sort of displays and refresh rates could I possibly hope to achieve ? The TV is in a different room so I'm going to have to use a 6m cable (and drill a hole in the wall, haven't told the wife...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

I have a W7 rig with a GTX1080 and I have recently purchased a Samsung Q90r and I would like to connect the two up. My GTX is dual link DVI-D and the Samsung One Connect box only has HDMI inputs so I understand that I need a cable with those two connections but is it just a simple case of connecting the two and voila ? I know I wont be capable of running 4K resolutions but what sort of displays and refresh rates could I possibly hope to achieve ? The TV is in a different room so I'm going to have to use a 6m cable (and drill a hole in the wall, haven't told the wife that bit !!), will the signal degenerate over that sort of distance ?

Thanks for any advice :)
A cable can work. BUT, you may not be able to play HDCP (copy protected) media at high res. DVI doesn't have the security features that HDMI has so most of the time, things like Netflix or other HD copy protected media won't play in high res.

Solution
A cable can work. BUT, you may not be able to play HDCP (copy protected) media at high res. DVI doesn't have the security features that HDMI has so most of the time, things like Netflix or other HD copy protected media won't play in high res.
HDMI signals are used when connecting from a DVI port to an HDMI display, which means all HDMI features such as audio and HDCP will be supported.

Sep 27, 2020
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm just going to try and game so I'm not bothered about watching Netflix. Just so long as I can play Hell Let Loose with sharp'ish clarity is what I'm looking forward to. And with the soundbar I'm sure the neighbours will quiver with fear too when the artillery salvo comes in .... lol

So I assume that I just have to get the PC to recognise another monitor when I hook up the TV via the NVidia Control Panel ?