Question DVI-D display works only when VGA cable is also connected to the GPU and monitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2021
Hey Guys. Hope everyone's doing great.

DVI-D display works only when VGA cable is also connected to the GPU and monitor, otherwise I can only see black screen after BIOS ?

I am Ramprasath from India. I have encountered a bizarre issue today. I normally use a VGA cable to connect to my monitor using a cheap HDMI to VGA adapter since GTX 1050 Ti does not have a VGA Port. I started seeing grain lines and strong deterioration in the image quality and decided to buy a DVI-D cable from amazon since my monitor(DELL IN2030M) only has VGA and DVI-D ports in it.

The cable arrived today and I removed my existing VGA cable and connected the DVI-D to both GPU and the monitor. The BIOS screen comes fine as usual and the monitor detected the DVI-D input using auto-detection but AFTER THE ASUS BIOS screen it just goes black so the PC is running without display. I reconnected the VGA along with the DVI-D cable connected to the system (both GPU and The monitor), suddenly the screen came back with DVI-D display.

I tried updating and installing new drivers from device manager too. But the monitor works in DVI-D only when both VGA and DVI-D are connected to the GPU.I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed too. The image quality is now super sharp and bright since it runs on DVI-D now but I do not know why do I have to keep the VGA port connected as well for the DVI-D port to work. Something is not right. Please reply to me if you ring any bells guys as I bought the DVI-D to replace the existing lower quality adapter and VGA thing in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance and Cheers.

P.S : After the initial boot the monitor works fine in DVI-D even if I remove the VGA port. But during startup it requires the VGA port to be connected as well otherwise I get the black screen after the BIOS.

Mar 25, 2021
Hello sir. I recently changed my PSU to a 500w since my old one fried not too long ago due to a USB Hub induced short circuit. May be a week before or something.

My specs:
Intel i3-3220 @3.3 GHz
RAM: 12 GB @1666 MHz
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition
MoBo: ASUS H61-M CS
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 rpm
SSD: ADATA SU 630 240 GB
PSU: May be a Generic One@500watts.

I thank you once again for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS