DVI-D output on AMD Radeon RX 560 has only 24 pins

May 2, 2018
This graphics card just arrived today, and I've never seen a DVI-D output with only 24 pins. Not 24+1 or 24+5

MSI AERO ITX 4G OC AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

The area where the flat pin (+5) goes is filled with plastic, so my monitor cord won't go in.

Has anyone ever heard of a DVI-D male output from a graphic card like this?

I have three monitors, and the HDMI and DisplayPort work fine, but now I'm missing my third monitor because I can't hook it up!

Solution

24+5 is DVI-I. It has analog pass-through on the +5 portion to handle the analog VGA signals.

You should be using a DVI-D to DVI-D Male to Male Dual Link DVI Cable as your Dell E1910 has a DVI-D input port.

https://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Cable-DVI-DVI-6HR-Professional-DVI-D/dp/B00354T7JI
May 2, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply! As you can see in these two pictures, there are no holes where the flat slot on my 24+5 cord should go. The area where the +1 or +5 pins go are filled with plastic. There is just a slight indentation where the +1 flat pin should go. Is this a manufacturing defect? Or is it a new type of DVI connector with only 24 pins I've never heard of before?

slmt13.jpg

bv1n6.jpg

May 2, 2018

It's a Dell E1910 with a fixed cord. I hooked it up to my old AMD R7 200 graphics card with a female 24+5 to male VGA adapter.

24+5 is DVI-I. It has analog pass-through on the +5 portion to handle the analog VGA signals.

You should be using a DVI-D to DVI-D Male to Male Dual Link DVI Cable as your Dell E1910 has a DVI-D input port.

https://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Cable-DVI-DVI-6HR-Professional-DVI-D/dp/B00354T7JI

Solution

postcd

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
Prefered video signal is digital (DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI) over analog (D-SUB).

- If your monitor and graphic card support HDMI, use HDMI, else:
- If your monitor and graphic card support DVI, then use it, but in case your graphic card do not have place for the analogue pins as seen on your photo, then you have to either use different DVI cable which do not have these PINs (means cable is only for digital signal), or you need to damage your DVI cable connector and remove PINs that prevent insertion. Resulting cable with removed PINs (those 4 near the flat PIN) will not transfer analogue signal, so i would make sure the cable ends in the monitor port which is didital (DVI or HDMI) as if you are using DVI cable, then DVi to DSUB reduction, then DSUB cable to monitor, i am not sure if that DVI->DSUB reduction would be able to translate digital pins into analogue, i guess no.