DVI-D to HDMI adapter not working

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
i bought the said adapter and tried to plug my hdmi monitor to it, but the monitor gets no signal and the pc doesnt recognize it. However, oddly when i tried to plug in a VGA monitor using the DVI adapter along side another HDMi adapter, the pc detected the display, but received no input signal on the VGA monitor, which was surprising as analogue signals cant pass through DVI-D. Anyone know why its like this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes. Your GPU is sensing another monitor and unless its an active adapter, you will get that symptom. A DSUB is not an exclusively analog connector. It does pass voltage indications back and forth from the monitor to the GPU or motherboard, which is why it is being detected. I've never used a DSUB to DVI adapter on a DVI to DVI-D adapter but I can see why it wouldn't work.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

The VGA monitor was plugged in just for fun and to see what would happen. The problems is that the adapter does not pass through signal to my HDMI monitor

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Yes. Your GPU is sensing another monitor and unless its an active adapter, you will get that symptom. A DSUB is not an exclusively analog connector. It does pass voltage indications back and forth from the monitor to the GPU or motherboard, which is why it is being detected. I've never used a DSUB to DVI adapter on a DVI to DVI-D adapter but I can see why it wouldn't work.

Solution

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

managed to find an active converter from my multimedia pc and tried it on my rig. Seems to work alright now thanks!